How much would you pay for a used i7 3770 today in 2017?

I am wondering how much would you guys pay for a used i7 3770 non k today in 2017? Considering AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 costing only $160 new and performing on par with the 3770. Would under $100 be fair for a used 3770 non k CPU? Because LGA 1155 is a platform with no upgrade path after a 3770 while AM4 can scale up to 8 cores 16 threads. I am trying to weigh the options on either building a used PC on socket 1155 and not have an upgrade path, or spend a little more and build a PC on Ryzen and have a upgrade path along with modern features. Both options would be building from scratch. What are your opinions on this? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

The way I see it, if you're even thinking about going for an older platform like Ivy, an unlocked CPU is the only way to go. It's the reason a lot of those older chips have gotten so much mileage and the reason they're still relevant. Ivy had plenty of headroom, so I honestly wouldn't bother with a non K ivy seeing as I could get a pretty easy 30%+ bump in performance in a matter of minutes. 

Although I can't emphasize enough how much knowledge of your workloads counts. What kind of applications are we talking about here? If you can leverage more threads due to productivity workloads or certain games, AM4 is fine, but if not, an overclocked Ivy generally performs better. Additionally, newer platforms may have I/O and expandability you may want.

If you're not going for an unlocked older CPU, might as well go for something newer is how I see it.

Edit: clarity.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

10 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I am wondering how much would you guys pay for a used i7 3770 non k today in 2017? Considering AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 costing only $160 new and performing on par with the 3770. Would under $100 be fair for a used 3770 non k CPU? Because LGA 1155 is a platform with no upgrade path after a 3770 while AM4 can scale up to 8 cores 16 threads. I am trying to weigh the options on either building a used PC on socket 1155 and not have an upgrade path, or spend a little more and build a PC on Ryzen and have a upgrade path along with modern features. Both options would be building from scratch. What are your opinions on this? 

I think $100 is fair, but you might try hunting around for more deals. I got a 2700K (upgrade from 2500K) last summer for $130. It runs at 4.9 GHz and I'm quite happy with it.

The hard part will be finding a Z77 board. They're kind of overpriced from what I've seen.

Also, you might do a price comparison on DDR3 vs DDR4. I'm pretty sure the RAM will be more expensive for Ryzen.

I would also consider your workloads. If gaming, a overclocked 3770K or 2700K is still quite good, but it's starting to fall behind a bit on modern games. I think paying more for ryzen wouldn't be a bad idea (and grab a 1700 when the prices drop in a few years if you need more power). Only if you need the power though...even a 2500K is pretty overkill for a day to day browsing PC.

Now my poor 2500K just sits on my desk doing nothing because a used board for it costs too much / I don't think it's a good idea to buy any more DDR3.

4 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

The way I see it, if you're even thinking about going for an older platform like Ivy, an unlocked CPU is the only way to go. It's the reason a lot of those older chips have gotten so much mileage and the reason they're still relevant. Ivy had plenty of headroom, so I honestly wouldn't bother with a non K ivy seeing as I could get a pretty easy 30%+ bump in performance in a matter of minutes. 

Although I can't emphasize enough how much knowledge of your workloads counts. What kind of applications are we talking about here? If you can leverage more threads due to productivity workloads or certain games, that's fine, but if not, an overclocked Ivy generally performs better. Additionally, newer platforms may have I/O and expandability you may want.

If you're not going for an unlocked CPU older cpu, might as well go for something newer is how I see it.

Wait so what I'm getting at is that if I were to be building on a older platform (say socket 1155) It would only be worth it if I can get a unlocked K skew CPU and a Z series motherboard right? If not, then build on a newer platform. What if I were to get a good deal on a locked CPU, say under $100. Then would building on a older platform be worth it?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

If you have the money, go for the upgrade path. AM4 and DDR4 will be around for a while, and you're buying into a low end Ryzen with room to grow. The 3770 is about as good as that socket gets, and there's nothing better coming along.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

Wait so what I'm getting at is that if I were to be building on a older platform (say socket 1155) It would only be worth it if I can get a unlocked K skew CPU and a Z series motherboard right? If not, then build on a newer platform. What if I were to get a good deal on a locked CPU, say under $100. Then would building on a older platform be worth it?

If we're talking pure numbers, and the whole thing cost you way less than the newer platform, and you don't really need to leverage any extra juice, I could justify it. Otherwise, like you, I'd be very weary of locking myself to an older platform. Especially seeing as we're talking stuff like DDR3 memory and the like.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

k11EypjtPc-2.png

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

11 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I think $100 is fair, but you might try hunting around for more deals. I got a 2700K (upgrade from 2500K) last summer for $130. It runs at 4.9 GHz and I'm quite happy with it.

The hard part will be finding a Z77 board. They're kind of overpriced from what I've seen.

Also, you might do a price comparison on DDR3 vs DDR4. I'm pretty sure the RAM will be more expensive for Ryzen.

I would also consider your workloads. If gaming, a overclocked 3770K or 2700K is still quite good, but it's starting to fall behind a bit on modern games. I think paying more for ryzen wouldn't be a bad idea (and grab a 1700 when the prices drop in a few years if you need more power). Only if you need the power though...even a 2500K is pretty overkill for a day to day browsing PC.

Now my poor 2500K just sits on my desk doing nothing because a used board for it costs too much / I don't think it's a good idea to buy any more DDR3.

Would around $80 be fair for a i7 3770? I'm mainly worried about the upgrade path for it since once you get it, it will be the only CPU you can put into it. I googled the costs for a Z77 motherboard and I dont think its worth it to buy the unlocked CPU and motherboard so my only option for a used build is a locked 3770 non k with a cheapo H77 motherboard or H61 motherboard. 

12 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Well, the 3770 / 2600 are good CPUs, but with the K skus, overclocking them really gives them quite a lot of fight.

My 2700K went from 3.9 GHz to 4.9 GHz and it's not too uncommon for Sandy Bridge to overclock that far.

My point still stands about the hard part is going to be finding a reasonably priced used Z77 board.

I think $80 is quite a reasonable price. I've seen the 3770K still selling for $160+...

Just now, scottyseng said:

Well, the 3770 / 2600 are good CPUs, but with the K skus, overclocking them really gives them quite a lot of fight.

My 2700K went from 3.9 GHz to 4.9 GHz and it's not too uncommon for Sandy Bridge to overclock that far.

My point still stands about the hard part is going to be finding a reasonably priced used Z77 board.

either that or build a new system based on the AM4 platform.

I could buy a i7-3770 pc for $150 from a natiowide online retailer.

27 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

either that or build a new system based on the AM4 platform.

Yeah, it's a tough call indeed. I think I would probably cough up the extra money for AM4 (depends on workload though).

I kind of am trying to avoid buying DDR3 since I know my next upgrade will be using DDR4.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $30 NZD for my 3770 non K. That comes to about $25 or so USD. There are cheap deals out there 

Oh btw. you can overclock the 3770 to about 4.2GHZ as Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge had some overclocking on the non K skew. It was limited though to a few clicks over the boost clock.  I think nowadays you won't find much difference between a 3770 and a 3770k as they are both outdated. Yes the K will overclock more but the non K is so much cheaper. I can literally buy 8 -  3770 for the price of 1 -  3770k. 

i sold my 3570k for 80 shipped about 3-4 weeks ago so maybe 100-110 shipped