X299 Video Editing System Help

Go to solution Solved by Xx_MadJack_xX,

Well Others May have Better Options and Answers but here is what I know and Can foresee:

Firstly Answering your Questions:

1.)  I'm Pretty Sure it Does turbo up as on intel's Website it has a Max Turbo Frequency of 4.00Ghz Which it should do on its own with Intel Turbo Boost Technology While under load via Rendering Or Gaming so it Should go to 4ghz With its Turbo Boost Technology

2.) If Intel Says it Can Only go up to 2400Mhz then I'm Pretty Sure that's all it can do in terms of Speed Overclocked or not

3.) A GTX 1060 For 1080p Projects will be more than Enough but for 4k overall a 1070 Wouldn't go to Miss as Recording 4k at Good FPS is a hard thing to do for a 1060 as a 1060 is a 1080p / 1440p Realistically.

4.) a 620w PSU will do Fine as I would Guess that the Pc Plan you have stated will take around the 400w Mark but I would go with a EVGA PSU as I have known them to be more Efficient and Quieter but if you wanted to go 520 you could But Expandability will be Limited.

5.) I would go with the Enthoo Evolv as its Nicer and the Fans inside can still do a Really good Job at Keeping a Good amount of Airflow and In terms of air Flow With a Decent CPU Cooler temps Wont get as high as you fear but in the Enthoo Evolv you can add another intake at the Front if your that Sceptical about it as even with a Stock Cooler the Case Fans Could do more than Enough to Keep the CPU Well within safe Limits the only thing is it will way More Audible

So here is a List I Made For you which Should Work Out Fine for Expandability, AirFlow and Easy to Work With,

The Extra Case fan is incase you want that 3rd Intake fan at the Front

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pLBhpb

Hi guys I will need some help in building a rig for my friend who do occasionally video rendering. As well as Photoshop, illustrator etc.

Have previously build a H series computer only. This will be my first time touching an X series mobo and CPU. I have not fiddle with overclocking before.

I have done some extensive research on all the parts and I just need some more opinion before I commit.

Oh ya just in case you were to suggest ryzen, as of now I think I don't want to touch Ryzen yet. Firstly I have zero experience with AMD system and I did tell my that friend about it and he is not confident about it.

Priority (From most important to the least)
1. Good Air Cooling/Flow, would not prefer even a AIO closed loop system
2. Quietness
3. Aesthetic 

I have proposed this system:

Mobo : ASUS PRIME X299-A
CPU: i7-7800X
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: 2 x 16GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX1060 6GB
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M2
HDD: WD 1TB BLUE
PSU: Seasonic 650W S12-II

My questions are:
1. CPU
Since it don't have turbo boost, when I get this system, will the motherboard have auto overclocking? Or What Ghz should I hit? I just want to play things safe while at the same time get some extra performance out of it. I am not into hardcore overclocking where I squeeze every performance out of that chip most efficiently. Just want something extra, without comprising the lifespan of the system.

2. RAM: 
I check via intel website i7-7800X maximum ram speed is 2400Mhz. As this is a overclockable system will I be able to install a 3200Mhz and let it use 3200Mhz ram?

Also, will he benefit from getting 4 pcs of ram to enjoy the quad channel ram? From what I read for video rendering it is not going to affect much. Is there anywhere I can benefit from the quad channel ram?

3. GPU
I wanted to use a GTX 1070 for this rig, but after finding out, adobe premiere, photoshop all this, don't really benefit from it. A GTX 1060 6GB will be enough. Is this true? Right now he will be doing 1080p projects. Just want to maybe future proof, if he were to do 4K videos, will GTX1060 be enough to do the job?

*For now if possible I will not include Radeon GPU in the discussion, to keep things simple as well :) 

4.PSU
Do you think a 620W is enough or too much for the system, even for additional ram or hard disk in the future.
Or is 520W a better choice? 

5. Casing/Cooling/Fan
I am consider Corsair Air 520 vs Phantek enthoo evolv tg.
Corsair Air 520
- Yup I am aware that the cooling is superior in this casing
- One thing that is a turn off that I have to purchase separate dust filter from Demciflex which cost another 60 to 70USD.

Phantek Enthoo Evolv TG
- Yup, as stated above, appearance is the least important, but if I can have it why not?
- It comes with dust filter
- Bigger and can fit more hard disk

I wouldn't mind to go for the Phantek Enthoo Evolv TG, just worried that if the air flow is not good enough to get the job done. Any advice which case to go for it? And while you suggest the case, may I get some advice on how many extra fans will be needed for this system? and where to place it. Or any other case to suggest!

If there is any suggestions or things you want to point out do let me know. Thank you very much :) 

Well Others May have Better Options and Answers but here is what I know and Can foresee:

1.)  I'm Pretty Sure it Does turbo up as on intel's Website it has a Max Turbo Frequency of 4.00Ghz Which it should do on its own with Intel Turbo Boost Technology While under load via Rendering Or Gaming so it Should go to 4ghz With its Turbo Boost Technology

2.) If Intel Says it Can Only go up to 2400Mhz then I'm Pretty Sure that's all it can do in terms of Speed Overclocked or not

3.) A GTX 1060 For 1080p Projects will be more than Enough but for 4k overall a 1070 Wouldn't go to Miss as Recording 4k at Good FPS is a hard thing to do for a 1060 as a 1060 is a 1080p / 1440p Realistically.

4.) a 620w PSU will do Fine as I would Guess that the Pc Plan you have stated will take around the 400w Mark but I would go with a EVGA PSU as I have known them to be more Efficient and Quieter but if you wanted to go 520 you could But Expandability will be Limited.

5.) I would go with the Enthoo Evolv as its Nicer and the Fans inside can still do a Really good Job at Keeping a Good amount of Airflow and In terms of air Flow With a Decent CPU Cooler temps Wont get as high as you fear but in the Enthoo Evolv you can add another intake at the Front if your that Sceptical about it as even with a Stock Cooler the Case Fans Could do more than Enough to Keep the CPU Well within safe Limits the only thing is it will way More Audible

So here is a List I Made For you which Should Work Out Fine for Expandability, AirFlow and Easy to Work With,

PC's I Have Built And Currently Still in House:

Main PC (My One):

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @5.00Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270-E Gaming ATX

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 32gb (4 x 8) 3200mhz

Storage: 2TB Segate Barracuda HDD, 960gb HyperX Savage (Games), 240gb Samsung 850 Evo (OS)

Case: Corsair 750D

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000w PSU

Graphics Card: 2x Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080TI (SLI) 

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Cooling: Custom Water Cooling

12 minutes ago, Xx_MadJack_xX said:

This is simply the stock specs for the memory controller. OP would be fine with 3200 Mhz RAM thanks to Intel XMP profiles.

Also a 620W+ PSU will be sufficient, so long as the CPU is not overclocked. Skylake-X CPUs are very power-hungry (and HOT) when overclocked, and especially so when overvolted. I would highly recommend going for at least the EVGA 650 G2/G3 PSU though. Well worth the extra money.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

22 hours ago, Xx_MadJack_xX said:

Thank you very much for the detailed guidance! I just read about coffee lake coming out with mainstream 6 cores processor. I might want to wait for that. Since the only reason I went for x299 board is to support the 6 core processor. I don't need the extra lanes and other features. Is there anything that I might miss out other than the extra lanes and some extra IOs? Thank you very much :)

22 hours ago, Phentos said:

This is simply the stock specs for the memory controller. OP would be fine with 3200 Mhz RAM thanks to Intel XMP profiles.

Also a 620W+ PSU will be sufficient, so long as the CPU is not overclocked. Skylake-X CPUs are very power-hungry (and HOT) when overclocked, and especially so when overvolted. I would highly recommend going for at least the EVGA 650 G2/G3 PSU though. Well worth the extra money.

Alright, thank you very much for the RAM info :) Will include the EVGA PSU in my build!