Xonar DS + HD598

T.Vengeance
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

The "I was thinking about buying good high impedance headphones in the future. Should I just get the amp/dac..." part? Yeah I got them on sale for 150 so it's not about where I should spend the money. What I was trying to ask is will the Xonar DS/my onboard be able to drive sound at the 100hz frequency?

It will actually drive the 100hz frequency better than the rest of the headphone, likely resulting in boomy bass. Like Mr. eBay suggested, read the FAQ for an explanation. If you don't understand the explanation or want a more technical/in-depth explanation, then ask the questions you have. ;)

So I just placed an order for the HD598 and currently have the Asus Xonar DS sound card. Can it support the impedance needed for the HD598? I searched up the frequency response vs impendance and it looks like the impedance shoots up to 300ohms at 100hz  :unsure: . 

77950f951e26448764561a3713c781df.png

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

So I just placed an order for the HD598 and currently have the Asus Xonar DS sound card. Can it support the impedance needed for the HD598? I searched up the frequency response vs impendance and it looks like the impedance shoots up to 300ohms at 100hz  :unsure: . 

I suggest you read the FAQ at the top of this section.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Your on board would probably be better .

Would they really? I have a a Realtek ALC888S-VS.

I suggest you read the FAQ at the top of this section.

The "I was thinking about buying good high impedance headphones in the future. Should I just get the amp/dac..." part? Yeah I got them on sale for 150 so it's not about where I should spend the money. What I was trying to ask is will the Xonar DS/my onboard be able to drive sound at the 100hz frequency?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It will actually drive the 100hz frequency better than the rest of the headphone, likely resulting in boomy bass. Like Mr. eBay suggested, read the FAQ for an explanation. If you don't understand the explanation or want a more technical/in-depth explanation, then ask the questions you have. ;)

Thanks for letting know! My initial worry spawned from this post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/564211/from-creative-fatal1ty-to-sennheiser-hd558-totally-not-worth-the-upgrade#post_7689286) on point #5. So I shouldn't worry about what derbigpr said on #5? (I know it's the 558 and not the 598 but the point still remains the same I'm guessing)

Thanks for letting know! My initial worry spawned from this post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/564211/from-creative-fatal1ty-to-sennheiser-hd558-totally-not-worth-the-upgrade#post_7689286) on point #5. So I shouldn't worry about what derbigpr said on #5? (I know it's the 558 and not the 598 but the point still remains the same I'm guessing)

When he says to use a different media player, that tells me right away he doesn't know what he's talking about. Because the driver is easier to push at the resonant frequency (apparently 100Hz), it requires more power to control the driver, but, for the same reason, it is easier to maintain that control - there is essentially an equilibrium between power requirements (higher impedance) and efficiency. http://lenardaudio.com/education/05_speakers_3.html

The only thing you need to worry about is having an amp with a low enough output impedance to provide the necessary power for the lower impedance frequencies of any given headphone. Less resistance = less efficient driver = more power flow. This is why people who say, "You need a more powerful amp for higher impedance headphones." are just plain ignorant of how electrical circuits function.

I've come to the personal conclusion most of head-fi is suffering from acute hearing loss given the insane power requirements they claim their "gear" needs.  Also headphone amps with high output impedances reduce the power output SIGNIFICANTLY, changing the math for power, your onboard not being in that category.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've come to the personal conclusion most of head-fi is suffering from acute hearing loss given the insane power requirements they claim their "gear" needs.  Also headphone amps with high output impedances reduce the power output SIGNIFICANTLY, changing the math for power, your onboard not being in that category.

I have come to the conclusion that most of head fi is suffering from a major status rejection anxiety, so they parrot what the "cool" kids are saying whilst paying no real attention to science or their own ears.  DIYaudio went down that path not that long ago and it became a mess of egos and rubbish science.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have come to the conclusion that most of head fi is suffering from a major status rejection anxiety, so they parrot what the "cool" kids are saying whilst paying no real attention to science or their own ears.  DIYaudio went down that path not that long ago and it became a mess of egos and rubbish science.

yeah, figures never lie, but liars figure.  Showmanship really fucks with the common perception of what science is and how you perform REPEATABLE experiments.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."