two graphics cards... 1080 Ti. Asus Strix OC OR EVGA SC2

xsimplyjosh
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,

Both the STRIX and EVGA cards have stellar cooling, so just get whichever looks the nicest and matches your build the best. 

Hello

I have question, would love to ask the fellow community if they have time to spare

I'm looking at these three cards and ordering them from amazon

Strix 1080 Ti OC
https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING-GeForce-DisplayPort-Overclocked-Graphics/dp/B06XXZBPHZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499397110

EVGA SC2
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B06Y13N2B6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499397202

apart from price difference, which one has upperhand better cooling and thermal noise performance overall... if anyone can helped. been reading and scratching my head on these two a lot.

im taking into account that there will be 2-3% variation in gaming performance which is then neglected from this decision and can be considered almost equal all things considered with GPU chip as it will be a fps or two which isn't a dealbreaker.

the decision to get a 1080ti is made firm so i don't need to gimp around with any card below it. primarily for future proofing as i won't SLI [due to some issues with compatibility] & a single card will fit my needs.

the only trouble is deciding which one is better or equiv... anyone who has used these cards can give me a recommendation

as the reason why im choosing more expensive aftermarket cards is primarily for the cooling aspect which reference cards don't deliver [not to mention they are noisy] for the price savings & i don't intend to watercool yet* until few year later...

any help appreciated or input/insights :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Both the STRIX and EVGA cards have stellar cooling, so just get whichever looks the nicest and matches your build the best. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Wait what 2 because 3=2 so 2=? How did you do this it's Black Magic[tm]

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I choose EVGA because the smaller size?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

The choice is between

Probably the best RGB and subdue overall design for case colour scheme compatibility - ASUS

vs

Superior customer service and smaller size - EVGA

made my decision, went with strix :D thanks all~~~

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

How is the Asus Poseidon variant in comparison to the other two ?

On 08/07/2017 at 2:08 AM, Umang Goel said:

How is the Asus Poseidon variant in comparison to the other two ?

hmm i personally have no intention to use the water cooling block yet so i kinda left it out, the reviews were nice though and it's nice to see asus put in a hybrid solution for those who don't feel comfortable ripping their fan/heatsinks apart but have an all in one solution [another being their maximus 9 extreme mobo] technically it wasn't worth it for me [at this time of writing] as we are talking about 1500-1600aud in terms of initial price...

not that i have experience with anything water cooling since I've never touched base on... but my initial impression is that wit h that hefty cost upfront, it is to my belief that the poseidon [with Watercooling] will obviously have the advantage over the strix in terms of core temps [gpu/finfet/vram]. assuming both are overclocked to 2GHz++ at the same spec same gpu clock same memory clock / etc.

edit:  most of my comment just coming off the reviews that ive been watching on Youtube and reading off various sites so there might be some degree of error with my "claims"

---

StriX is the best Aircooled card out there, if your board is by ASUS too, just go for that card. If you have an EVGA system, i would go for the EVGA branded 1080.

I just builded a 1080Ti 5 fan Strix extension, 2 extra vans on a 3D printing part, only for extreme build able to host 15 inch length  cards, i just copied that card in Autodesk and printed it, looks so real that i need to post it if the metal parts are in it. Plastic Strix parts by me, lol, ASUS is helping us here!

1 minute ago, LucasRem said:

StriX is the best Aircooled card out there, if your board is by ASUS too, just go for that card. If you have an EVGA system, i would go for the EVGA branded 1080.

I just builded a 1080Ti 5 fan Strix extension, 2 extra vans on a 3D printing part, only for extreme build able to host 15 inch length  cards, i just copied that card in Autodesk and printed it, looks so real that i need to post it if the metal parts are in it. Plastic Strix parts by me, lol, ASUS is helping us here!

Yes i agree with you! the strix mobo were my favorite for a decent price [sure some might argue otherwise but i guess what did it for me was asus' bios & uefi interface] It did have a tiny scratch on the left metal shroud but personally didn't bother trying to argue at all for refund/exchanges as i saved 20% off the actual rrp [ebay eofy sales]...

wow 5 fan extension o_o do you have a brace or any kind to leverage the potential sag from the extended length? or didnt bother and let it hang freely as usual :S [not that im going to support mine in anyway but curious]

---