Cryorig R1 Universal Vs. Ultimate

DekaRanger
Go to solution Solved by Wrb,

You probably could, by I wouldn't recommend it if you have a rear exhaust fan (which almost everyone does), as then you would just have two fans blowing in the same place in the same direction.

Hello.

I want to be able to access/see  all my dimm slots on the Asus Crosshair 6 hero. I know the universal is made for better ram clearance but is it possible to put the front fan on the ultimate and put it on the back with no issues? The case I will be using is the Dark Base Pro 900.

Don't know what else to say except thank you in advance for your help.

You probably could, by I wouldn't recommend it if you have a rear exhaust fan (which almost everyone does), as then you would just have two fans blowing in the same place in the same direction.

3 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Ok. I thought about that but I thought there would be a lot of space in between the cooler and the back fan. That basically answers my question. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, DekaRanger said:

Ok. I thought about that but I thought there would be a lot of space in between the cooler and the back fan. That basically answers my question. Thank you!

Yeah, it usually doesn't make a ton of sense, but you could do it. You also can buy the Ultimate/Uninversal fans separate from the cooling unit, so if you really wanted you could hook up a universal to be able to see your RAM, then add another fan onto the back and have a sort of 3 fan cooler thing going on too. Probably not going to affect cooling performance in a huge way, but its doable.

You can also lift the front fan of the R1 ultimate and leave it where it is (provided you have the clearance). The R1 only interferes with the first RAM slot, so slots 2, 3, and 4 are all visible and accessible. buying a 2 DIMM kit may be the way to go here if you want.

You can also, also, buy low profile memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX for example) and that will fit under the front fan of the R1 ultimate and would not require any modification.

@DekaRangerWAIIIIT A MINUTE!

looks like the R1 does in fact also cover the second DIMM slot.... so never mind on that 2 DIMM kit being a thing, I must have been thinking of another one of their coolers.

15 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

@DekaRangerWAIIIIT A MINUTE!

looks like the R1 does in fact also cover the second DIMM slot.... so never mind on that 2 DIMM kit being a thing, I must have been thinking of another one of their coolers.

You are talking about the Ultimate right? I have been looking at the universal and it looks like it doesn't cover any slots.

7 hours ago, DekaRanger said:

You are talking about the Ultimate right? I have been looking at the universal and it looks like it doesn't cover any slots.

Yes,I was talking about the Ultimate. Any Cryorig cooler with the name "universal" (such as the R1 and H5) mean that they do not cover any RAM slots, therefore they are universally compatible with any RAM configuration. That is the feature which makes them "universal".