Oculus only using iGPU

So I hooked up my oculus to my laptop. Everything is detected, the ports are just fine. But when I put my oculus on and actually try to run some games, it lags. Even if I'm not playing anything, I get like 3 fps. I've went into nvidia control panel and selected my dedicated gpu as my default gpu. My oculus still lags, with my dedicated gpu at 0% usage and my integrated gpu pinmed at 100%.

Probably not the most elegant solution but can you disable the igpu outright?

4 minutes ago, Precept said:

Aand how would i do that? Bios?

Just now, RADEON_GUY said:

Aand how would i do that? Bios?

wouldnt do that, there must be another way. If your gpu dies and you dont have an igpu you are pretty f***ed. 

If your laptop has Optimus technology, chances are it's literally impossible to use the dedicated GPU for VR. Yes, that sucks extremely big-time. But it is a thing.

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

wouldnt do that, there must be another way. If your gpu dies and you dont have an igpu you are pretty f***ed. 

Would it really? Seen bios have prioroty order for gpus and wouldnexpect it to default to that to run the bios.. plenty do it on desktops but i have to say i havent got much experience on laptops..

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

If your laptop has Optimus technology, chances are it's literally impossible to use the dedicated GPU for VR. Yes, that sucks extremely big-time. But it is a thing.

Well... s**t.

3 minutes ago, Precept said:

Would it really? Seen bios have prioroty order for gpus and wouldnexpect it to default to that to run the bios.. plenty do it on desktops but i have to say i havent got much experience on laptops..

Checked the bios. Doesn't even have an option to disable the igpu. Guess i'm screwed.

Just now, Sakkura said:

What laptop is it, and what CPU and GPU does it have?

Cpu: i5 7300hq

Gpu: gtx 1050ti 4gb

I did the steamvr performance test. Smack in the middle. Thr gpu is the minimum oculus spec so it shouldn't be a problem.

22 minutes ago, Precept said:

I've disabled ths igpu from device manager. Now the oculus app says that my rift is not connected to the hdmi port.

Hmm, the VR issues should be less common with 10 series GPUs. And yes the 1050 Ti is enough, as long as the laptop is wired right to actually connect it straight to a VR headset. But if the laptop didn't have a VR ready sticker, you never know.

Have you vheck physx are on the dedicated gpu?

If chaning it works enable to igpu again to cover back.

gnKEnui_d.jpg

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

why are you the redeon guy with a nvidea profile pic ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Since i'm bored and depressed rn, I'll tell you the story. The story of a 15 year old amd fanboy. We'll call him Ray. Ray built his first gaming pc in summer 2015. He was proud of it. It had an i5 4460 and an r9 270. He then switched to a GTX 970 in November 2015. He saw the light. That was Ray's first high end gpu. He joined the green team. BUT WAIT. Ray already had a ltt forums account, from his AMD days. So he decided to be the mother of all irony. He changed his pic to an Nvidia logo. And it stayed like that until now, and it will stay like that forever. Confusing people far and wide.

11 minutes ago, Precept said:

Have you vheck physx are on the dedicated gpu?

If chaning it works enable to igpu again to cover back.

gnKEnui_d.jpg

Changed it to my dgpu. Didn't do anything. Vr ahem.. 'adult material' works though. It works fine. Boy does it work. Now if you'll excuse me

So I came up with a stupid idea. I'm just gonna use my main rig for vr and my laptop for everything else. 7300hq and 1050ti makes a respectable gaming machine. I did not expect that. I expected playing on a 1050ti would be like having a botched circumcision. It's not surprisingly.

15 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

Since i'm bored and depressed rn, I'll tell you the story. The story of a 15 year old amd fanboy. We'll call him Ray. Ray built his first gaming pc in summer 2015. He was proud of it. It had an i5 4460 and an r9 270. He then switched to a GTX 970 in November 2015. He saw the light. That was Ray's first high end gpu. He joined the green team. BUT WAIT. Ray already had a ltt forums account, from his AMD days. So he decided to be the mother of all irony. He changed his pic to an Nvidia logo. And it stayed like that until now, and it will stay like that forever. Confusing people far and wide.

because i am bored i will tell you a story also. There was this boy we will call him Micheal, Michael's first pc with an decent card was a Pentium 4 with an hd 2000 series card ( ati (now amd)one of the lower end ones) that boy had no clue of hardware but with time he discovered the fun in playing around with hardware (mostly because electricity was shit and burned shit up) so the boy decides to buy a GAMING pc, but he had no money, so he started stealing the change he got each time he went to buy bread, with that money and some from birthday parties he got to 400 dollars (almost 2 years later) during the time that he was saving money he was trying to make a build that would fit his budget, but he was greedy so he didn't want to give up on cpu perf as it would take a long time until he had money to upgrade the system, so he choose a 3570k a the cheapest z77 board asus made and no graphics card has he didn't have the money.

when the time came for him to give the money to his parents to buy the pc, they said it was better to buy the graphics card now as it would save on shipping costs, the boy was delighted so in a hurry he searched a card that he could ask for around the price point of 200 euros, he found a gtx660 but for a bit more he could have gotten a 7870 but he choose the 660 to reduce the burden on his parents.

now the boy is older and is rocking a amd (ati) rx480.

so you see the boy went full circle, to this day the boy carries the old gpu processor (ati one) in his pocket for luck 

i better do a:

TL:DR

boy started with an old ati card 

the first computer he bought had a gtx 660 

boy now back to amd with the rx480

extra: boy buys old used hd 7870 

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

because i am bored i will tell you a story also. There was this boy we will call him Micheal, Michael's first pc with an decent card was a Pentium 4 with an hd 2000 series card ( ati (now amd)one of the lower end ones) that boy had no clue of hardware but with time he discovered the fun in playing around with hardware (mostly because electricity was shit and burned shit up) so the boy decides to buy a GAMING pc, but he had no money, so he started stealing the change he got each time he went to buy bread, with that money and some from birthday parties he got to 400 dollars (almost 2 years later) during the time that he was saving money he was trying to make a build that would fit his budget, but he was greedy so he didn't want to give up on cpu perf as it would take a long time until he had money to upgrade the system, so he choose a 3570k a the cheapest z77 board asus made and no graphics card has he didn't have the money.

when the time came for him to give the money to his parents to buy the pc, they said it was better to buy the graphics card now as it would save on shipping costs, the boy was delighted so in a hurry he searched a card that he could ask for around the price point of 200 euros, he found a gtx660 but for a bit more he could have gotten a 7870 but he choose the 660 to reduce the burden on his parents.

now the boy is older and is rocking a amd (ati) rx480.

so you see the boy went full circle, to this day the boy carries the old gpu processor (ati one) in his pocket for luck 

Lemme tell you a post 970 story. After Ray got bored of his 970, he decided to save up for a new gpu. He started fixing his neighbour's computers for £15 each. He helped them install windows, clean out their PCs and he taught his older neighbours how to use the 'internet'. He finally saved up enough to buy a used 980ti, which he still uses to this day, although said 980ti also likes turning off randomly and artifacting...

Just now, RADEON_GUY said:

Lemme tell you a post 970 story. After Ray got bored of his 970, he decided to save up for a new gpu. He started fixing his neighbour's computers for £15 each. He helped them install windows, clean out their PCs and he taught his older neighbours how to use the 'internet'. He finally saved up enough to buy a used 980ti, which he still uses to this day, although said 980ti also likes turning off randomly and artifacting...

then the boys younger brother wanted an upgrade too, so both saved up and bought a rx 480 4gb for the kid, 

the kid to this day is still using the old 3570k (the boy thinks it was a good choice as it lasted a long time) and its not overclocked so there's still room to improve 

Sounds like what ever laptop you have is wired up in such a way that the external ports draw from the igpu only and the main laptop screen is the only one that can use the dgpu

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒