Help picking a PSU?

katoptrys

I began buying the parts to build a new PC (since I am short on money and living outside the US, it will take me time to buy all parts). So far I only have Case and Motherboard (Corsair 400C White and MSI B350M Mortar Arctic).
My estimated build should have a Ryzen 5 1500X, a GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, and a 7200 RPM HDD (will consider an SDD in the future, depending on what can be afforded).

The recommended wattage for a PSU, according to several calculators, is lower than 350W. I am considering a 430W 80+ White EVGA PSU or a 500W 80+ Bronze EVGA PSU, but the price difference is pretty big here. Which would be a better choice?

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

I'd recommend either a 450W or a 500W, better safe than sorry and it'll provide a bit of future proofing to it. I ran a machine very similar to this on a crappy old 450W just fine.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Both are very good, but if you ever wanted to upgrade to say, a 1070, I think it'd be safe to go with the 500, but for now I'd go with the 430w 80+ white.

2 minutes ago, shiggy said:

Both are very good, but if you ever wanted to upgrade to say, a 1070, I think it'd be safe to go with the 500, but for now I'd go with the 430w 80+ white.

Neither is very good.

6 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

I began buying the parts to build a new PC (since I am short on money and living outside the US, it will take me time to buy all parts). So far I only have Case and Motherboard (Corsair 400C White and MSI B350M Mortar Arctic).
My estimated build should have a Ryzen 5 1500X, a GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, and a 7200 RPM HDD (will consider an SDD in the future, depending on what can be afforded).

The recommended wattage for a PSU, according to several calculators, is lower than 350W. I am considering a 430W 80+ White EVGA PSU or a 500W 80+ Bronze EVGA PSU, but the price difference is pretty big here. Which would be a better choice?

For a 1060 the 500B is fine but neither is a great unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I am aware they are not the best choices, but the price difference is massive and the availability is limited (We're talking 50-100% difference)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

2 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

I am aware they are not the best choices, but the price difference is massive and the availability is limited (We're talking 50-100% difference)

Since the differences are quite huge, You need to ask yourself when will your next upgrade (regardless is CPU or GPU only). 1060, 430W should be good enough (although it's not a good unit). But if you are thinking that after a year you might want to upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or so, then you might wanna get the 500W PSU instead.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Can you provide any links to stores you are able to buy from, so we know what's available to you?

For the wattage, just go for the 500W it should give you more headroom for anything

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/  is like a third world ebay, you just search

http://compragamer.com/ is the site where I got my parts so far, it's usually cheaper

Spoiler

Ah, Argentina. Prices tend to be rather high due to import taxes. So your budget is approximately 1200 ARS looking at the EVGA 430 W1 unit, correct?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-660114896-fuente-evga-430w-80-plus-pci-e-8pin-430-w-gamer-_JM

I couldn't find the EVGA 500B, but I found the Seasonic S12II-B 520w model for 1779.99 ARS. Are you able to get that?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-614794222-fuente-pc-seasonic-s12ii-520w-reales-80-plus-40a-atx-gamer-_JM