PCIe vs USB wifi adapter

NoMercy
Go to solution Solved by NoMercy,
26 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed - a guide on wireless transfer speeds.

Antennas on PCI cards are adjustable so you can have them not be in the way of anything else. Additionally, there are cards with antennas that can be mounted separately (antenna is connected via a cable to the card itself as opposed to plugging into the card directly).

I wouldn't recommend using a usb extenstion cable due to loss on cable (may or may not be significant).

There are either PCI cards or PCI-e 1x cards (there's actually a card for pretty much any form of PCI or PCI-e). They're generally pretty small and shouldn't impact your GPU's cooling. Just look on the motherboard, see which PCI is the lowest and use that or use the 1x PCI-e slot above the GPU.

Thanks for the article. I think I might just go for PCIe, since my concern does not seem like a problem. The prices are actually acceptable for both, so yeah.

Hi all,

Currently I am getting maximum internet speed of 50mbps from my ISP. This is what I subcribed for.

I am wondering whether to get a PCIe wifi adapter or a USB wifi adapter for my PC, motherboard has no wifi. I have heard that PCIe has faster bandwidth than USB. So people is saying that PCIe is better.

But in my case does it matter if my ISP only gives me 50mbps?  Is the bottleneck at my internet speed? Or USB will bottleneck the speed?

How about stability, are there any difference between usb and pcie in terms of stability? Latency and loss rate, stuff like that.

Thank you yall.

Regardless of your ISP package, I'd still go for a PCI/PCI-e card, specially one with an actual antenna, which would improve range and reduce loss.

You'd still be somewhat bottlenecked by protocol max speed (b/g/n) in local network transfer. Ethernet > wifi in most cases

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I picked up a USB one last week and I've had no toible, speeds are still fast for wifi. I miss eternet tho 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

I got a usb one and it works fine , I too have a slow isp and the cool thing about the usb one is I can use it on any computer and it goes pretty much as fast as if it was wired

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

Regardless of your ISP package, I'd still go for a PCI/PCI-e card, specially one with an actual antenna, which would improve range and reduce loss.

You'd still be somewhat bottlenecked by protocol max speed (b/g/n) in local network transfer. Ethernet > wifi in most cases

Hi, thanks for the reply. If i am going for USB, i will go for the one with extention USB cable + antennas one (4db or 9db i am not very sure). The reason I am not comfortable with PCIe is because I somehow think that the antennas will be blocked by my GPU and the cables connected to my GPU. Since i have a 3 slot GPU, I might want to use a lower slot to avoid any over heating (not sure if this is necessary).

What does local network protocol mean? Isn't that nowadays, it is very easy to get a 300mbps or above wifi adapter? It is more than 50mbps already?

4 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

I picked up a USB one last week and I've had no toible, speeds are still fast for wifi. I miss eternet tho 

Ya I know USB is fast enough, but will PCIe be "faster"? Especially nowadays more and more videos are in 4k, there is no more "enough". Since I cant change my ISP speed, so at least i want to keep it up with my hardware.

1 minute ago, NoMercy said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. If i am going for USB, i will go for the one with extention USB cable + antennas one (4db or 9db i am not very sure). The reason I am not comfortable with PCIe is because I somehow think that the antennas will be blocked by my GPU and the cables connected to my GPU. Since i have a 3 slot GPU, I might want to use a lower slot to avoid any over heating (not sure if this is necessary).

What does local network protocol mean? Isn't that nowadays, it is very easy to get a 300mbps or above wifi adapter? It is more than 50mbps already?

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed - a guide on wireless transfer speeds.

Antennas on PCI cards are adjustable so you can have them not be in the way of anything else. Additionally, there are cards with antennas that can be mounted separately (antenna is connected via a cable to the card itself as opposed to plugging into the card directly).

I wouldn't recommend using a usb extenstion cable due to loss on cable (may or may not be significant).

There are either PCI cards or PCI-e 1x cards (there's actually a card for pretty much any form of PCI or PCI-e). They're generally pretty small and shouldn't impact your GPU's cooling. Just look on the motherboard, see which PCI is the lowest and use that or use the 1x PCI-e slot above the GPU.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I have used USB adaptors but the short of it is that there really bad. There cheaply designed and there is the limit of the USB transfer. PCIe cards are more expensive but I have never had any issues with the TP-link n900. It has worked for the last 4 years and no hiccups. Its also been fine on windows xp, 7 and 10, ubutu and Yosemite. PCIe cards are better designed and have the advantage that you can move the antennas into a suitable position to get the best signal, they also have a bigger surface area then small USB ones. For an old laptop or raspberry pi then you will have no issues with USB but for a modern fast pc you will notice. I recommend the TP-link n900, is small and "mighty" 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

26 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Thanks for the article. I think I might just go for PCIe, since my concern does not seem like a problem. The prices are actually acceptable for both, so yeah.

PCI card over USB.

Because from my own experience I only got 20-30Mbps with my USB 3.0 Adapter connected to a USB 3.0 port in a good spot, as soon as I replaced over to a PCI it jumped all the way up to 40-50Mbps and it's in a worse spot than my USB was. And the PCI I used was actually a £10 of Amazon!  

10 hours ago, NoMercy said:

Ya I know USB is fast enough, but will PCIe be "faster"? Especially nowadays more and more videos are in 4k, there is no more "enough". Since I cant change my ISP speed, so at least i want to keep it up with my hardware.

Well duh just look at the sports advertised on the cards, our ones will have the same and ones that can do faster. It's littlerly just looking at numbers on a box to answer your question 

10 hours ago, shelton567 said:

PCI card over USB.

Because from my own experience I only got 20-30Mbps with my USB 3.0 Adapter connected to a USB 3.0 port in a good spot, as soon as I replaced over to a PCI it jumped all the way up to 40-50Mbps and it's in a worse spot than my USB was. And the PCI I used was actually a £10 of Amazon!  

Not sure I believe thks. Unless your had a super cheap usb one, like any under $20