Does bridge mode combines networK

Yongtjunkit

Hi, I was wondering if the media Bridge mode allow same network but different wifi name? Basically isp stock router > Asus rt ac68u

You can just simply use this ASUS router (or almost any other so called wireless router) as a wireless access point and configure its WLAN settings separately. To do that, instead of plugging cable from your ISP stock router into WAN port, plug it into one of the LAN ports, set ASUS router IP to free IP address in your local network, disable DHCP server in this device and configure WLAN to your needs. Then you should be able to connect to this AP and have IP address assigned by the DHCP server of your main router.

What Blacky Logan said (AP mode) will do what you want.

What media bridge does is act like a wifi dongle that connects via ethernet instead of USB. 

9 minutes ago, Blacky Logan said:

You can just simply use this ASUS router (or almost any other so called wireless router) as a wireless access point and configure its WLAN settings separately. To do that, instead of plugging cable from your ISP stock router into WAN port, plug it into one of the LAN ports, set ASUS router IP to free IP address in your local network, disable DHCP server in this device and configure WLAN to your needs. Then you should be able to connect to this AP and have IP address assigned by the DHCP server of your main router.

7 minutes ago, cnerde said:

What Blacky Logan said (AP mode) will do what you want.

What media bridge does is act like a wifi dongle that connects via ethernet instead of USB. 

Will setting it to access point mode affect local network performance (the isp provided router has only 100mbps ethernet port) also can I still enable the security features like firewall and trend micro?

2 hours ago, Blacky Logan said:

If I were to plug in my Asus router as an access point I must plug in to a lan port?

What do you want to achieve exactly? If you're going to use this router as I described it, it will perform only as an access point, another device in your LAN, it won't have direct connection to the Internet and it's gonna use your ISP router as a gateway. If you want this ASUS router to be the central point of your network, you've got to connect the cable from the ISP router into the WAN port and:

• Disable firewall, DHCP server and WLAN on your ISP router
  • If you have dynamic IP, select IP from the LAN subnet of your ISP router for the ASUS router and enable DMZ for this IP
  • Configure your ASUS router. If you have dynamic IP, for the WAN port set the IP you chose in the previous step. If you have static IP, you should be able to simply configure WAN port with the same settings as the WAN port in your ISP router.

In this case scenario, your ISP router will act only as a "modem", and your ASUS router will manage your whole network (including firewall, routing, etc.).

If you will use ASUS router as AP, the 1Gbps connection will be only possible between devices connected to the switch of this router (other LAN ports), but the rest of the network will be limited to the 100Mbps link between both of your routers (and WLAN speed is another thing that will also depend on the specific scenario).

7 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

If I were to plug in my Asus router as an access point I must plug in to a lan port?

Yes, on both ends.

27 minutes ago, Blacky Logan said:

What do you want to achieve exactly? If you're going to use this router as I described it, it will perform only as an access point, another device in your LAN, it won't have direct connection to the Internet and it's gonna use your ISP router as a gateway. If you want this ASUS router to be the central point of your network, you've got to connect the cable from the ISP router into the WAN port and:

• Disable firewall, DHCP server and WLAN on your ISP router
  • If you have dynamic IP, select IP from the LAN subnet of your ISP router for the ASUS router and enable DMZ for this IP
  • Configure your ASUS router. If you have dynamic IP, for the WAN port set the IP you chose in the previous step. If you have static IP, you should be able to simply configure WAN port with the same settings as the WAN port in your ISP router.

In this case scenario, your ISP router will act only as a "modem", and your ASUS router will manage your whole network (including firewall, routing, etc.).

If you will use ASUS router as AP, the 1Gbps connection will be only possible between devices connected to the switch of this router (other LAN ports), but the rest of the network will be limited to the 100Mbps link between both of your routers (and WLAN speed is another thing that will also depend on the specific scenario).

I'm trying to connect an cable TV (iptv on a different vlan on the Asus router)decoder but it doesn't show up on the app. The stock isp router does have both internet and iptv service while the Asus can only have either iptv service or internet connection.IMG_2113.thumb.PNG.dc670311526b5a0ad6495d5e2c35073c.PNG

How did you configure the ASUS router, as an AP? If so, can you now access the ISP router while being connected to the AP? And where is connected the IPTV cable decoder?

5 hours ago, Blacky Logan said:

How did you configure the ASUS router, as an AP? If so, can you now access the ISP router while being connected to the AP? And where is connected the IPTV cable decoder?

Isp router can be accessed from the Asus router (ap). Plug in a language cable into Lan port 1 ( for my case) then go to administration to change mode to access point mode