New GPU, sometimes crashes entire PC

Sirpz

So. I just got the EVGA 1080 FTW2... Yesterday I had issues when it crashed after installing drivers and changing resolution [backstory] my Mobo splash screen and bios are super zoomed in on anything other than a VGA connection, so I can't access my bios without a VGA, so I have to use my 750ti's VGA connection just to access my bios [done].so after hours of troubleshooting I used my old card to get into bios, change some shit and then my evga card worked again (previously everything was working, just my monitor was black, and the cable was connected and the monitor was detecting it). Fast forward to this morning, while overclocking and running benchmarks, my entire computer shut off, turned back on, and I was back to my black screen of death. I had to do my whole shit with my other gpu again to get it working, although I didn't have to enter bios, I just had to boot up. So now I was playing overwatch with my friend, and my computer just shut off again, restarted, and did the same shit with the black screen, this was after 5+ hours of playing civ and overwatch. I know putting in my old gpu and doing all the stupid shit again would fix it but it's so fucking tedious and it pisses me off I have to do it every day. Evga support is unavailable rn for 4th of July and I'd like to get this shit sorted, I think it has to be either HDD, PSU, or Mobo, none of which ever had any previous issue, but I can't imagine the restart to be directly due to the gpu, also, when I boot up I do see the Mobo splash screen, although after that it's nothing

Also, I have a z170 gigabyte board, evga gold 650w, 6600k, and 2 1tb hdds,

Just now, Khamul said:

Which psu do you have? Are your temps okay?

Evga 650w gold, and my temps were always around 70c

Just now, Sirpz said:

Evga 650w gold, and my temps were always around 70c

And on idle?

Just now, TrigrH said:

turn CSM off, that might fix ur BIOS zoomed issue.

CSM?

1 minute ago, Khamul said:

And on idle?

Idle idk, I never payed attention, but I saw 70c while running unigen heaven max settings. I'd assume idle was around 50-60

Just now, TrigrH said:

compatibility support module its a bios setting that all board have on by default.

It emulates a BIOS environment for legacy hardware support, with it off everything boots at native res.

How do I turn that off?

Just now, TrigrH said:

its in the bios? find it?

Oh ok, I'll look for it when I enter it next. Currently trying to find the easiest way to get this working without having to go through the hassle of clearing my desk, unscrewing shit, putting in gpu, etc

Just now, Sirpz said:

Oh ok, I'll look for it when I enter it next. Currently trying to find the easiest way to get this working without having to go through the hassle of clearing my desk, unscrewing shit, putting in gpu, etc

boot from IGPU

Well before I go to bed, one last thing. Make sure your temps are fine when gaming. Use Msi afterburner to check temps and make sure your fans are spinning!

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

boot from IGPU

For some reason my igpu doesn't work or something. I connect an HDMI into it and nothing ever shows up. Monitor just gets no signal

Just now, Sirpz said:

For some reason my igpu doesn't work or something. I connect an HDMI into it and nothing ever shows up. Monitor just gets no signal

make sure there is no GPU in the system, and even if you cant see the screen up yet press the key to enter the bios.

Just now, TrigrH said:

make sure there is no GPU in the system, and even if you cant see the screen up yet press the key to enter the bios.

Ooh ok, I never really bothered to touch my igpu, didn't realize I couldn't have my gpu in, yea I'll try that

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

cos the 750ti might not work without CSM enabled

Oh ok. But the 1080 would?

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

yeah for sure, i know the 9 series and up do, my 660ti didnt, not sure about the 7 series.

Ok cool. I'll give all that a try. Hopefully I won't need to keep the damn 750ti on my desk at all times just to access the bios

I had an issue a while back that was somewhat similar to what is going on with your rig. My problem turned out to be some bad RAM.  If you have not yet done so, try testing your DIMMS (by removing one at a time to see if you can boot into a stable environment).  This is just a suggestion. Good luck; you'll figure it out eventually.

3 minutes ago, Thaylese said:

I had an issue a while back that was somewhat similar to what is going on with your rig. My problem turned out to be some bad RAM.  If you have not yet done so, try testing your DIMMS (by removing one at a time to see if you can boot into a stable environment).  This is just a suggestion. Good luck; you'll figure it out eventually.

Yea that's a hard thing to do when I only have 1 8gb dimm :/

1 minute ago, Sirpz said:

Yea that's a hard thing to do when I only have 1 8gb dimm :/

Might be the slot itself. Try the stick in the other slots.

23 minutes ago, Thaylese said:

Might be the slot itself. Try the stick in the other slots.

Alright. Idk why it would have died now since it's never had any problems