Process Taking Too Much CPU

Wimsly

Hello, i run windows 10... and here is my problem. I'm playing PayDay 2 with my friend and I notice random fps drops, so I open up Task Manager to see what is doing and whenever i get fps drops my process "System" is taking about 50% of my CPU, my OS is up to date, can't be windows updating. My drivers are up to date and not corrupted, so It cant be an issue with that. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could do?

Close all open things except what your using 

(I play payday 2 on a notebook CPU and GPU it's really helpful and make a .BAT file for payday 2 I can't remember how to do it)

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Leave it for a few hours and see if it stops.

Windows often installs updates in the background.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Restart your machine, go under C:\Windows and rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old or something else.  Restart again, then let windows update run (will take longer this time, don't do anything until it's done if you can). 

23 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

Restart your machine, go under C:\Windows and rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old or something else.  Restart again, then let windows update run (will take longer this time, don't do anything until it's done if you can). 

Restarting the PC while windows is working on stuff in the background is not a good idea.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Restarting the PC while windows is working on stuff in the background is not a good idea.

True, but I'm going taking his word that this is abnormal.  While I can't speak to this being the same for everyone, I never had windows crash on me because I restarted it simply because a background os process was busy. 

Personally, what I said before is what I would do.  I have had similar issues before, and spent hours trying to solve it, and that worked for me. 

Just now, JacobFW said:

True, but I'm going taking his word that this is abnormal.  While I can't speak to this being the same for everyone, I never had windows crash on me because I restarted it simply because a background os process was busy. 

Personally, what I said before is what I would do.  I have had similar issues before, and spent hours trying to solve it, and that worked for me. 

It's not abnormal for windows to do stuff in the background.

Usually people don't notice.

It happens to me sometimes, I just leave it and after a few minutes or hours it is finished, then I restart just to make sure it's done.

I never said it would crash from restarting it while it is working on something.

What usually happens is it has to start installing the updates all over again, so after restarting it goes right back to using all your CPU again.

It can also cause issues if you interrupt it and have a corrupted update install.

Then in the future when windows tries to install other updates or software it might fail because of that one time you restarted the PC while it was busy.

Spoiler