A wad of LTC questions

Hello forum, I recently started litecoin mining just for the heck of it, and I was able to get a decent hashrate from my 7770 (the 7870xt is yet to be configured) But when I look at the worker from liteguardian it shows a different hashrate than cgminer:

nkWakOA.jpg?1

So would someone know why this is happening, are the strings of text in cgminer related?

And about the wallet software. It recently stopped working and a reinstall doesn't help. It comes up with error:unknown database error, when loading the wallet

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Hello forum, I recently started litecoin mining just for the heck of it, and I was able to get a decent hashrate from my 7770 (the 7870xt is yet to be configured) But when I look at the worker from liteguardian it shows a different hashrate than cgminer:

So would someone know why this is happening, are the strings of text in cgminer related?

And about the wallet software. It recently stopped working and a reinstall doesn't help. It comes up with error:unknown database error, when loading the wallet

If it works like I think it does, it might calculate the average based on the accepted shares. If that makes any sense?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

If it works like I think it does, it might calculate the average based on the accepted shares. If that makes any sense?

That could very well be it. I forgot to mention in the post that earlier today it was showing well over 140 kh/s at that same site. But maybe it was just that it was in fact earlier. So that might've confused me how this actually works

Edit: spiked to 126 and back to 63.

You're GPU settings don't appear to be entirely stable. You're getting a fair bit of HW (hardware errors). The HW errors can be from anything, thread concurrency too high, clocks too high, intensity to high, etc. It can take hours to find setting that work best for your set up.

The pool has no way to know your exact hashrate unless you install a monitoring program. The way the pool calculates your hash is it takes accepted shares over the past 10 or so minutes and estimates it based on that. Solving shares is based on luck, if you get lucky and solve a bunch of shares quickly the pool will show you as having a much higher hash rate, similar to if you're unlucky and not getting any shares solved.

One thing you could try, I have no idea if it would make things worse, but lower the intensity to 13 and add a second GPU thread. In the batch/config add/change -i 13 -g 2

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

You're GPU settings don't appear to be entirely stable. You're getting a fair bit of HW (hardware errors). The HW errors can be from anything, thread concurrency too high, clocks too high, intensity to high, etc. It can take hours to find setting that work best for your set up.

The pool has no way to know your exact hashrate unless you install a monitoring program. The way the pool calculates your hash is it takes accepted shares over the past 10 or so minutes and estimates it based on that. Solving shares is based on luck, if you get lucky and solve a bunch of shares quickly the pool will show you as having a much higher hash rate, similar to if you're unlucky and not getting any shares solved.

One thing you could try, I have no idea if it would make things worse, but lower the intensity to 13 and add a second GPU thread. In the batch/config add/change -i 13 -g 2

So the "accepted xxxxx diff gpu" things are HW errors? If that's the case i've only changed intensity and the gpu is at stock clocks, so it must be intensity then.

I'll have to scout for better config when I i get home, thanks for answer

A: accepted shares - valid shares submitted for the current block

R: rejected/stale shares - a share that doesn't meet the required difficulty, or was finished too late and the coin has moved onto a new block.

HW: Hardware errors - Loss of X number of shares due to instability but not enough to cause a crash. Best to be compared to artifacts while gaming which invalidates shares and requires it to retry.

In the Cgminer folder, there are two readme files, you can go through for troubleshooting and various settings. I would first go through some of the other suggested configs to try and find one that doesn't give HW errors, then slowly tweak and increase settings from there to find your perfect balance.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

A: accepted shares - valid shares submitted for the current block

R: rejected/stale shares - a share that doesn't meet the required difficulty, or was finished too late and the coin has moved onto a new block.

HW: Hardware errors - Loss of X number of shares due to instability but not enough to cause a crash. Best to be compared to artifacts while gaming which invalidates shares and requires it to retry.

In the Cgminer folder, there are two readme files, you can go through for troubleshooting and various settings. I would first go through some of the other suggested configs to try and find one that doesn't give HW errors, then slowly tweak and increase settings from there to find your perfect balance.

I got home and read trough stuff and I have a much better understanding. And I got the 7870 xt configured. But looking around it seems that LTC is memory bandwith limited(?) so it's not going to reach 7950 performance (-200 kh/s)

LTC does require a lot of memory use.

But more importantly, it requires a balanced ratio between core and memory clocks. 

Here's an excerpt taken from SCRYPT-README.txt of tuning the settings on a 7970, you can apply some of the same technique to your gpu to try and get the best settings. It will be a lot of trial and error.

TUNING AN AMD RADEON 7970Example tuning a 7970 for Scrypt mining:On linux run this command:export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100or on windows this:setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100in the same console/bash/dos prompt/bat file/whatever you want to call it,before running cgminer.First, find the highest thread concurrency that you can start it at. They shouldall start at 8192 but some will go up to 3 times that. Don't go too high on theintensity while testing and don't change gpu threads. If you cannot go above8192, don't fret as you can still get a high hashrate.Delete any .bin files so you're starting from scratch and see what bins getgenerated.First try without any thread concurrency or even shaders, as cgminer will try tofind an optimal valuecgminer -I 13If that starts mining, see what bin was generated, it is likely the largestmeaningful TC you can set.Starting it on mine I get:scrypt130302Tahitiglg2tc22392w64l8.binSee tc22392 that's telling you what thread concurrency it was. It should startwithout TC parameters, but you never know. So if it doesn't, start with--thread-concurrency 8192 and add 2048 to it at a time till you find the highestvalue it will start successfully at.Then start overclocking the eyeballs off your memory, as 7970s are exquisitelysensitive to memory speed and amazingly overclockable but please make sure itkeeps adequately cooled with --auto-fan! Do it while it's running from the GPUmenu. Go up by 25 at a time every 30 seconds or so until your GPU crashes. Thenreboot and start it 25 lower as a rough start. Mine runs stable at 1900 memorywithout overvolting. Overvolting is the only thing that can actually damage yourGPU so I wouldn't recommend it at all.Then once you find the maximum memory clock speed, you need to find the sweetspot engine clock speed that matches it. It's a fine line where one more MHzwill make the hashrate drop by 20%. It's somewhere in the .57 - 0.6 ratio range.Start your engine clock speed at half your memory clock speed and then increaseit by 5 at a time. The hashrate should climb a little each rise in engine speedand then suddenly drop above a certain value. Decrease it by 1 then until youfind it climbs dramatically. If your engine clock speed cannot get that highwithout crashing the GPU, you will have to use a lower memclock.Then, and only then, bother trying to increase intensity further.My final settings were:--gpu-engine 1141  --gpu-memclock 1875 -I 20for a hashrate of 745kH.

LTC does require a lot of memory use.

But more importantly, it requires a balanced ratio between core and memory clocks. 

Here's an excerpt taken from SCRYPT-README.txt of tuning the settings on a 7970, you can apply some of the same technique to your gpu to try and get the best settings. It will be a lot of trial and error.

TUNING AN AMD RADEON 7970Example tuning a 7970 for Scrypt mining:On linux run this command:export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100or on windows this:setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100in the same console/bash/dos prompt/bat file/whatever you want to call it,before running cgminer.First, find the highest thread concurrency that you can start it at. They shouldall start at 8192 but some will go up to 3 times that. Don't go too high on theintensity while testing and don't change gpu threads. If you cannot go above8192, don't fret as you can still get a high hashrate.Delete any .bin files so you're starting from scratch and see what bins getgenerated.First try without any thread concurrency or even shaders, as cgminer will try tofind an optimal valuecgminer -I 13If that starts mining, see what bin was generated, it is likely the largestmeaningful TC you can set.Starting it on mine I get:scrypt130302Tahitiglg2tc22392w64l8.binSee tc22392 that's telling you what thread concurrency it was. It should startwithout TC parameters, but you never know. So if it doesn't, start with--thread-concurrency 8192 and add 2048 to it at a time till you find the highestvalue it will start successfully at.Then start overclocking the eyeballs off your memory, as 7970s are exquisitelysensitive to memory speed and amazingly overclockable but please make sure itkeeps adequately cooled with --auto-fan! Do it while it's running from the GPUmenu. Go up by 25 at a time every 30 seconds or so until your GPU crashes. Thenreboot and start it 25 lower as a rough start. Mine runs stable at 1900 memorywithout overvolting. Overvolting is the only thing that can actually damage yourGPU so I wouldn't recommend it at all.Then once you find the maximum memory clock speed, you need to find the sweetspot engine clock speed that matches it. It's a fine line where one more MHzwill make the hashrate drop by 20%. It's somewhere in the .57 - 0.6 ratio range.Start your engine clock speed at half your memory clock speed and then increaseit by 5 at a time. The hashrate should climb a little each rise in engine speedand then suddenly drop above a certain value. Decrease it by 1 then until youfind it climbs dramatically. If your engine clock speed cannot get that highwithout crashing the GPU, you will have to use a lower memclock.Then, and only then, bother trying to increase intensity further.My final settings were:--gpu-engine 1141  --gpu-memclock 1875 -I 20for a hashrate of 745kH.
I managed to tweak the 7770 into getting about 190 kh/s without any HW fails. Too bad it doesn't oc that well since I found some interesting forum post saying that memory/core ratio of 0,7 is good but I'm unable to achieve that. I'll look forward to tweaking the xt

I managed to tweak the 7770 into getting about 190 kh/s without any HW fails. Too bad it doesn't oc that well since I found some interesting forum post saying that memory/core ratio of 0,7 is good but I'm unable to achieve that. I'll look forward to tweaking the xt

A 7770 running at 190 K/hash is pretty good. https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison Appears to be the highest clock from the few that have been reported. If you get 190 K/hash don't change any settings with it. What are you getting with the other card right now?

A 7770 running at 190 K/hash is pretty good. https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison Appears to be the highest clock from the few that have been reported. If you get 190 K/hash don't change any settings with it. What are you getting with the other card right now?

sorry for the late reply I was sleeping. The other card gets something like 350 khs

That's not to bad, you should be able to get a little bit more out of it with different settings.

That's not to bad, you should be able to get a little bit more out of it with different settings.

Yeah, the 7770 does surprisingly well compared to the other one, at least imo.

also wooh, if 0,1 ltc is 2$ with the current value that's what I have