VGA and Streaming question

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The streaming software will allow you to encode the content using either your processor, or your video card (if the video card has the functionality built in).

Modern video cards have hardware encoders which can compress the video in real time, without using a lot of processor power. The software you use (OBS for example) simply generates 25 to 60 pictures a second (depending on your choice), "uploads" the picture into the video card, the video card compresses it and then the software "downloads" the compressed image and puts it in the stream of data that is sent to Twitch or Youtube or some other streaming service.

If your video card is of an older type that doesn't have some hardware encoder built in, the software can still compress whatever you want to stream, but will have to resort to using your computer's processor to do the compression. Video compression is quite complex so in the past, this process of compressing the video would use a lot of processor time, and therefore games would run slower because the game also used the processor for some things so now the game had to wait to use the processor for its needs.

However, you have a Ryzen processor which has 8 cores and 8 threads, so a total of 16 cores (8 being "virtual).  Older games can barely use more than 2 cores, so even if the capture software uses a lot of processor to compress the video, there would still be at least one or two cores fully available for those games so those games won't have any noticeable drop in performance.

Most tutorials out there about streaming push using hardware encoders (on video cards) because a lot of people have weaker processors with only 2 or 4 cores and more processor-intensive games, so the slowdown caused by using processor to encode your stream could be noticeable and annoying.

It won't be the case with your computer.

here is my question...

say I wanna stream games that DO NOT require much system resources, especially graphics cards. games that can be played even on integrated GPUs. 2D games or pixel games, pseudo 3D games, old 3D games etc. 

do I still need a powerful card for stream (maybe because streaming software requires you to have powerful cards) or any card will do as long as you get good FPS without streaming?

cheers

5 minutes ago, indexikki said:

here is my question...

say I wanna stream games that DO NOT require much system resources, especially graphics cards. games that can be played even on integrated GPUs. 2D games or pixel games, pseudo 3D games, old 3D games etc. 

do I still need a powerful card for stream (maybe because streaming software requires you to have powerful cards) or any card will do as long as you get good FPS without streaming?

cheers

Mediocre CPU, OBS and strong Upload speed(Internet speed)

Streaming something doesn't impact perfomance much.

Challenger Tier at League of Legends since Season 5.

1 minute ago, tiggar47 said:

Mediocre CPU, OBS and strong Upload speed(Internet speed)

got ryzen 1700 16gb ram and 100mb download and upload 

I'm just stuck with really old gtx 460, was gonna upgrade it to 1070  when miners went crazy and bought all gpus on the market so i'm waiting... 

Just now, indexikki said:

got ryzen 1700 16gb ram and 100mb download and upload 

I'm just stuck with really old gtx 460, was gonna upgrade it to 1070  when miners went crazy and bought all gpus on the market so i'm waiting... 

No need to buy RX 570,580. If you're not going for Hard-core gaming GTX 1050/Ti will suffice :)

1 minute ago, tiggar47 said:

No need to buy RX 570,580. If you're not going for Hard-core gaming GTX 1050/Ti will suffice :)

there are other games i'm planning to stream after i get my card so I definitely want something in 1070 / rx 580 range. but because of the crazy prices, i can't buy it just now. So basically i'll have to stream on my GTX 460 for now lol

Just now, indexikki said:

there are other games i'm planning to stream after i get my card so I definitely want something in 1070 / rx 580 range. but because of the crazy prices, i can't buy it just now. So basically i'll have to stream on my GTX 460 for now lol

Like I said, if you do not plan to go for Hard-core gaming(highest settings and resolution etc) graphics/resource hungry games etc.

You should go for GTX1050, it's a decent card with a budget-ish price, performs well.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

Like I said, if you do not plan to go for Hard-core gaming(highest settings and resolution etc) graphics/resource hungry games etc.

You should go for GTX1050, it's a decent card with a budget-ish price, performs well.

I am going to play more demanding games in the future, so 1050 will not be enough. and i don't want to upgrade twice.

so I stream on 460gtx for now (if it is possible, that was the original question)

and upgrade my VGA later when vga prices go down.  

The streaming software will allow you to encode the content using either your processor, or your video card (if the video card has the functionality built in).

Modern video cards have hardware encoders which can compress the video in real time, without using a lot of processor power. The software you use (OBS for example) simply generates 25 to 60 pictures a second (depending on your choice), "uploads" the picture into the video card, the video card compresses it and then the software "downloads" the compressed image and puts it in the stream of data that is sent to Twitch or Youtube or some other streaming service.

If your video card is of an older type that doesn't have some hardware encoder built in, the software can still compress whatever you want to stream, but will have to resort to using your computer's processor to do the compression. Video compression is quite complex so in the past, this process of compressing the video would use a lot of processor time, and therefore games would run slower because the game also used the processor for some things so now the game had to wait to use the processor for its needs.

However, you have a Ryzen processor which has 8 cores and 8 threads, so a total of 16 cores (8 being "virtual).  Older games can barely use more than 2 cores, so even if the capture software uses a lot of processor to compress the video, there would still be at least one or two cores fully available for those games so those games won't have any noticeable drop in performance.

Most tutorials out there about streaming push using hardware encoders (on video cards) because a lot of people have weaker processors with only 2 or 4 cores and more processor-intensive games, so the slowdown caused by using processor to encode your stream could be noticeable and annoying.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

thank you very much Mariushm, that was the kind of answer i was looking for. :))