5400RPM 2.5 drive faster than 7200RPM 3.5 drive?

burnttoastnice

So currently in my system I have three 5400RPM laptop drives - a 500GB SSHD, a 750GB HDD and a 160GB HDD, as well as one 7200RPM 250GB desktop drive currently being tested for bad sectors. But I've noticed that the 5400RPM drives have a higher sequential transfer speed than the 7200RPM drive?

I was thinking that the faster 7200RPM platter speed would result in a faster speed and lower seek latency, or is this being hindered by the fact the drive is of a lower capacity compared to the 5400's?

5400RPM

Seagate 500GB SSHD - 100MB/s Seq (system drive)

Seagate 750GB HDD - 110MB/s Seq (games)

Hitachi 160GB HDD - 67MB/s Seq (tempfiles)

7200RPM

Seagate 250GB HDD - 87MB/s Seq

hdd7200rpm250.PNG

sshd5400rpm500.PNG

hdd5400rpm160.PNG

hdd5400rpm750.PNG

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I believe that 7200RPM thing was true in the past. But nowadays it's a different ball game. Here: http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/choosing-high-performance-storage-is-not-about-rpm-anymore-master-ti/

^_^

Well, they talk about SSHD's here, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Here's another link: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-higher-rpm-hard-drives-rip-you-off/

As drivers fill up their performance decreases abruptly, also there's fragmentation to take in account, if you want the true performance of a drive, format it first, this way is pointless...

example:
screenshot.png

source: http://www.hdtune.com/

The y axis represents the transfer speed(blue line)/ access time(yellow dots), the x axis the amount of data in the disk.

As you can see the transfer speed went from 171 to 85, on a empty drive to a full one.

Seeing your screenshots for a second time there're so many variables, just because a drive is 7200 rpm doesn't mean it is fast, for starters the platter density of a 250gb 3.5 hdd is very low and that impacts performance, the drive's age is also important.