Uhh, how to solve incompatibility: drive screw holes vs. case 3.5" drive sleds? ?

TLDR: What do I need to do to solve an incompatibility issue between my new HDD screw holes, vs. my case's drive sleds?  I prefer using the same mfgr/type/size drives, & don't want to move my build to a new case.

So I recently got three 8TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives, to use for backing up.  Opened one today, and found out the drive screw holes are incompatible with the sleds from my case. :(

IMG_20170701_202839054.thumb.jpg.d24bbeed84e0785d2f95226bb700bf8f.jpg

IMG_20170701_202859671.thumb.jpg.8fb09673dc2d4dc216724b876f0298f9.jpg

The drives I bought (at my local Fry's) were supposed to be 0S04012, and the boxes even say that.  But, the drives themselves say 0F29801.

My case is the Rosewill Thor V2.  

IMG_20170701_215015678.thumb.jpg.939cf54008208e6d45c936136613f513.jpg

I wasn't planning to get a new case until

Spoiler

I do a new build when DDR5/PCI-E 5 are out on all segments & socket makers (HEDT vs mainstream, AMD vs Intel, etc), and when a $300-350 CPU can encode  30fps 4K (or 60/120/240fps 8K if I wait past ~2020-2025) lossless H.265 in realtime or faster.

I happen to have a few 3.5" to 5.25" adapters I'd bought because I was running out if 3.5" bays, but I'd prefer not to be forced to use them with these 8TB drives.

IMG_20170701_203006648.thumb.jpg.02fc905ec29fbdcc71303ec8189bd943.jpg

One issue with cabling: my case has 6x 3.5" bays mounted sideways, and 6x 5.25" bays mounted forwards.  My PSU (Corsair AX760)'s 12x SATA power plugs are on 3 cables - 4 per cable.

Spoiler

So, with the 3.5" bays populated, I'm using 2 chains, with 2 plugs on the 2nd chain unusable.  (1 plug if I lay a 2.5" SSD under the 3.5" drives).  Then with the 5.25" bays, I can use 4 bays with the remaining SATA chain, and the other 2 bays are unusable.

That would be one reason I'd maybe want a new case.  If I decided to get one, I'd make a post in the cases forum.  Example requirements may include

Spoiler
  • <$80,
  • EATX/SSI EEB dual/quad-socket mobo compatibility,
  • 8+ exp slots,
  • mid-tower (or < ~ 20"H * 21"D * 9.5"W; current case is a bit too big),
  • front I/O incl USB3 (not top unless <~18"H),
  • 8/12/16 3.5" bays (2 stacks if possible),
  • hot swap
  • (NOT a server case),
  • no door (unless FD Define),
  • at least 2 or 4 dedicated SSD bays (stacked, not side-by-side b/c PSU cables),
  • no "gamer" aesthetics (but RGB ok), fairly "plain" looking (like FD Arc or Corsair 1/2/3/4/500R),
  • 240/280/360mm non-slim radiator compatibility,
  • ability to use triple-fan taller-than-slot GPUs with all drive bays populated AND thick/large rads,
  • etc.

I really also don't want to switch to different type/manufacturer of drives.  I'd prefer to stick with HGST, and NAS drives.  If I switch models, it'd need to be at no difference in cost, unless the new ones are less expensive, or same price and more reliable.  (My 8TB drives were $269 each.)  I'd also consider 10 or 12TB drives for the same or less $, or $/TB.

I also may be past return policy on some drives as stock was low (so I had to buy in 2 stages) and I had other things going on recently.

(for some reason I'm unable to delete the pic (dark exposure of my case) at the bottom of the post, unless this attempt worked...)

IMG_20170701_214856168.jpg

If they fit in the 5.25 in sled thing, then that's what you have to do, even if you hate that idea.

7 minutes ago, g12601 said:

If they fit in the 5.25 in sled thing, then that's what you have to do, even if you hate that idea.

Hmm, okay, looks like I have no other choice (unless someone else thinks of something...) :(

Btw what case/build/specs is that in your avatar?  Looks like one of those older style cases, I remember my parents/brother using those (and I think I had a similar one too in my first build). :o Back then we never bothered with cable management ... but how WOULD someone do cable management in a case like that, that has no side panel space?  (I've heard that some people would stuff cables in a drive bay, but for this, assume all bays are populated, and to make it a bit more challenging, they're all IDE drives, or better yet, MFM xD:P)

13 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Hmm, okay, looks like I have no other choice (unless someone else thinks of something...) :(

Btw what case/build/specs is that in your avatar?  Looks like one of those older style cases, I remember my parents/brother using those (and I think I had a similar one too in my first build). :o Back then we never bothered with cable management ... but how WOULD someone do cable management in a case like that, that has no side panel space?  (I've heard that some people would stuff cables in a drive bay, but for this, assume all bays are populated, and to make it a bit more challenging, they're all IDE drives, or better yet, MFM xD:P)

Looks old, but it's just a $20 case (Rosewill FBM 02, I think) It was a nightmare to cable manage it, took around an hour or so to do it!