3 WD Blues in RAID 5 or 2 WD Reds in Raid 1

Techdude154
Go to solution Solved by Changis,

get reds and add a third one down the road instead for raid 5
it is your data you are saving.. would you gamble your data to save a few bucks?
if you need fire alarms in your housem do you try to find the cheapest 5 for a buck deal? ;)

Hello,

I got an older computer (around 2012) without a hard drive that I was planning on using as a gaming server for a few friends as well as for backups. I was wondering if it would be better to use the Red Drives or if blues would work as well. I was going to use the RAID controller built into the motherboard and either go with 3 1TB Wd Blues in RAID 5 for 2 TB of storage or shell out the extra money for 2 2TB wd Reds in RAID 1. I was leaning toward the WD Blues due to their better performance since the os and servers will be writing and reading from the RAID as well as it would be about a $30 cost savings. However, I heard that it's really only really a good idea to use blues for a RAID 1 application. Is the performance difference going to be noticeable on the reds and is it really worth spending the extra $30 for the reds?

it is your data you are saving.. would you gamble your data to save a few bucks?
if you need fire alarms in your housem do you try to find the cheapest 5 for a buck deal? ;)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

3 minutes ago, Techdude154 said:

Hello,

I got an older computer (around 2012) without a hard drive that I was planning on using as a gaming server for a few friends as well as for backups. I was wondering if it would be better to use the Red Drives or if blues would work as well. I was going to use the RAID controller built into the motherboard and either go with 3 1TB Wd Blues in RAID 5 for 2 TB of storage or shell out the extra money for 2 2TB wd Reds in RAID 1. I was leaning toward the WD Blues due to their better performance since the os and servers will be writing and reading from the RAID as well as it would be about a $30 cost savings. However, I heard that it's really only really a good idea to use blues for a RAID 1 application. Is the performance difference going to be noticeable on the reds and is it really worth spending the extra $30 for the reds?

Red drives are usually better for 24h operation and raid, while the raid 5 would be a bit faster... The recovery process is simpler and the warranty on the red are better... I personally would go with the Red drives 

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

depends on waht data you are storing and how important it is. Go with the blues in raid 5 and offload critical data to a drive that you then disconnect and put in the closet. Store your important data outside of the system, better offsite. I had to leanr that the hard way.

Stay with the old raid philosophy and use the inexpensive disc. But then again my nas runs on a mismatch of wd green drives I haven't trusted in years still works though.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

19 minutes ago, Techdude154 said:

I heard that it's really only really a good idea to use blues for a RAID 1 application.

wd says:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=996

WD desktop hard drives (WD Blue, Green, or Black) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration.

However, there are several things to keep in mind when setting up a RAID with these drives:

• WD only recommends using a Desktop drive in a RAID array with no more than two (2) drives (Raid 0 or Raid 1 only).

20 minutes ago, Techdude154 said:

Is the performance difference going to be noticeable on the reds and is it really worth spending the extra $30 for the reds?

not really but the red last longer.

I would buy red or black for running in the server an blue for backup.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

24 minutes ago, Techdude154 said:

3 1TB Wd Blues in RAID 5 for 2 TB of storage or shell out the extra money for 2 2TB wd Reds in RAID 1

Raid1 with 2TB is better than raid5 with 1TB disks. Raid 5 performance is not great.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, Changis said:

Based on your response and the other members, I'm returning the blues and buying the reds.

Thanks for your help guys.