7700K Won't OC past 4.5Ghz

Just built a new PC today. Running a 7700K on an Asus Z270H with a Kracken X62 cooler. 

Was thinking getting a 5.0Ghz OC would be a cake walk on this set up, but I can't even get the thing higher than stock speeds.

For example, when setting my multiplier to just 47 with manual core voltage to 1.3v, the computer won't even boot into windows. At 1.4v
it would boot windows but get blue screen immediately after starting AIDA64.

Do I just have the worst 7700K in the world? Like what the hell...  

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

3 minutes ago, RainbowTylernol said:

Just built a new PC today. Running a 7700K on an Asus Z270H with a Kracken X62 cooler. 

Was thinking getting a 5.0Ghz OC would be a cake walk on this set up, but I can't even get the thing higher than stock speeds.

For example, when setting my multiplier to just 47 with manual core voltage to 1.3v, the computer won't even boot into windows. At 1.4v

maybe needs a bios update. or cpu delid hehe

Crank up the volts.

Though seriously, as a previous 6700k owner, the 7700k is a massive dissapointment.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Crank up the volts.

Though seriously, as a previous 6700k owner, the 7700k is a massive dissapointment.

you had a 6700k and bought a 7700k ?

17 minutes ago, RainbowTylernol said:

Did you just turn on the bios and go for 47 multiplier? Or did you start at something like a 40 multiplier and low volts and work your way up?

1 minute ago, DoctorZeus said:

Did you just turn on the bios and go for 47 multiplier? Or did you start at something like a 40 multiplier and low volts and work your way up?

I mean the stock boost clock is 45 so I wasn't going to start anywhere below 45. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

10 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

you had a 6700k and bought a 7700k ?

I bought a 6700k, ended up gifting the rig to my girlfriend since hers was failing apart and upon building a new system for myself, I realized the 7700k had little difference over the previous gen.I was actually excited for Kabby at one point.

As you could imagine, I wasn't keen on the idea of spending over $300 for basically the same chip, only with 4k Netflix DRM and awful thermals thanks to a multi-billion dollar company somehow not having the funds to use proper TIM. And that's why I'm using a R5 1600.

1 hour ago, Emanuel_M said:

maybe needs a bios update. or cpu delid hehe

Where can I get the most recent bios? I might try to update it. 

I updated the bios and now it won't post at all. And as far as I know this motherboard has no clear CMOS feature. I have no idea what to do anymore. 

5 hours ago, RainbowTylernol said:

I updated the bios and now it won't post at all. And as far as I know this motherboard has no clear CMOS feature. I have no idea what to do anymore. 

to clear cmos you pull out the little battery on the board. also there are little lights on the edge of the board thatll let you know whats stopping it

11 hours ago, DoctorZeus said:

to clear cmos you pull out the little battery on the board. also there are little lights on the edge of the board thatll let you know whats stopping it

Yeah this worked. After getting the board to post again and having the bios updated, I was able to get the chip to 4.8Ghz at 1.3v stable. 5Ghz still won't even boot windows but whatever. I'm happy with 4.8.

Temps are still pretty high though. Mid 80s in AIDA64, and that's with a top of the line AIO. But shitty temps seems to be the norm on these chips I guess.