Whey Experts?

DC

I'm trying to loss weight. So I've been going to gym and changed my diet. I eat 2 meals(chicken breast and broccoli) and a slim shake with milk in between meals. My trainer said I should drink whey mixed with water once in morning and once at evening and eat 1 meal for lunch. Is whey used for weight loss? I thought it was for people who wants to grow big muscles.

And if that's true, what kind of whey? 

most people here are probably uneducated about bodybuilding.

Go to forum.bodybuilding.com and read around the stickies or ask questions.

1 thing to know "IIFYM" it means if it fits your macros.

let's say you need to eat 1800 calories a day to lose "x" amt of weight per week.

as long as you are under that it doesn't really matter what you eat.

you could eat sugary cupcakes and still lose weight. although that isn't a healthy lifestyle it is still doable.

its all about how much you eat.

asking people on a PC forum about bodybuilding/nutrition related things is pretty close to as far as you can get.

TLDR: it's not an issue, and most things you hear about bodybuilding are myths. like it stumps growth etc. if you really want to know you have to go on these forums it's not just for huge people, there are a lot of educated people on the bodybuilding forums if you are really interested in losing weight you need to get on here.

I'm not claiming I'm an expert but I did do a decent amount of reading and I may be wrong about somethings but I probably know more than the average user on these forums.

if you are really interested in starting peaking around and asking questions on the place I said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html    <----- if you don't believe you can lose weight with sugary goodness.

@Admins/Mods I'm just trying to help him not advertise a website. (I don't think I saw anything about posting links to other websites in guidelines)

Caffeinne pills is great for weight loss, it supresses your appetite. 100mg a pill, from any drug store.

3 hours ago, DC said:

Is whey used for weight loss?

Short answer: no.

Nothing about whey-protein helps you with weight loss. It's just a convenient way to feed your body protein, without having to wolf down pounds of cottage cheese.

As for what kind of whey, I personally recommend 'Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold', the reason being that it actually tastes good and of what it says on the packaging, and doesn't make me sick.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Also, I wouldn't take a "trainer'" word unless they have a credible degree.  I'd go to an actual doctor and have them find an actual diet that would be a tad more ideal for your body.

I think just the usual, counting calories and macros, would be enough.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Wouldn't dieting to your body type be useful too?

Don't see how. If you wanna slim down, you slim down. Doesn't matter if you are shaped like melon or a cucumber. It's not rocket science.

Genetics, body type, and what not can impact that from what I've read.  Not sure of the credibility on the body type thing, though.

Sure, but in the end you end up doing the same. Eat to lose weight, or eat to maintain, or eat to gain. Depending on your genetics, the threshold might be different. That's something you can figure out by experimenting. Eat the same amount of calories daily for a period of time and then see what happens to your weight. Adjust accordingly.

Protein is calories just like other foods. They should be recommending you increase protein while decrease fat and carb so you can lower your calourie intake and not loose too much strength. You will loose strength and energy with rapid weight loss. They should not be recommending protein products without taking your food diary and counting calouries.

Here is my opinion, Gyms are a rubbish way to get athletic. Gyms really don't compare to sports. They are for old people like me with too many injuries to play sports. Take up boxing 5 times a week for three hours a day and eat a diet of chicken salad. No supplements required. You will look like an athlete if you live like one.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 hours ago, DannyRyu said:

most people here are probably uneducated about bodybuilding.

Go to forum.bodybuilding.com and read around the stickies or ask questions.

1 thing to know "IIFYM" it means if it fits your macros.

let's say you need to eat 1800 calories a day to lose "x" amt of weight per week.

as long as you are under that it doesn't really matter what you eat.

you could eat sugary cupcakes and still lose weight. although that isn't a healthy lifestyle it is still doable.

its all about how much you eat.

asking people on a PC forum about bodybuilding/nutrition related things is pretty close to as far as you can get.

TLDR: it's not an issue, and most things you hear about bodybuilding are myths. like it stumps growth etc. if you really want to know you have to go on these forums it's not just for huge people, there are a lot of educated people on the bodybuilding forums if you are really interested in losing weight you need to get on here.

I'm not claiming I'm an expert but I did do a decent amount of reading and I may be wrong about somethings but I probably know more than the average user on these forums.

if you are really interested in starting peaking around and asking questions on the place I said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html    <----- if you don't believe you can lose weight with sugary goodness.

@Admins/Mods I'm just trying to help him not advertise a website. (I don't think I saw anything about posting links to other websites in guidelines)

This is what I did to lose a lot of weight.  Just basic calorie counting, since, well, what has half the calories of a big greasy cheese burger?  Only one half of a big greasy cheeseburger.  Personally, I find that drastic life style changes are very hard to commit to, so counting calories but only trying to get 'kinda under' how many calories I should have per day did not require a drastic change.  It was mostly just an elimination of overeating/boredom eating.  I can't report the FASTEST weight loss, but it's CONSISTENT weight loss through a process that doesn't require me to turn my lifestyle upside down or to expend a tonne of willpower to stick to it.

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Genetics, body type, and what not can impact that from what I've read.  Not sure of the credibility on the body type thing, though.

There is no definitive experiment that proves body type or genetics. The fat gene gets discovered as much as it gets debunked. Personally I think fat lazy people just like their fat lazy excuses.

There are studies that show gut bacteria plays a part in why some people can be skinny with poor diet and exercise and they are experimenting with feacal transplantation. Google it. It's gross but might be a legit fat loss pill.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Here is my opinion, Gyms are a rubbish way to get athletic. Gyms really don't compare to sports. They are for old people like me with too many injuries to play sports. Take up boxing 5 times a week for three hours a day and eat a diet of chicken salad. No supplements required. You will look like an athlete if you live like one.

That is absolute rubbish. In pretty much any gym you will find more young people than old, and especially in martial arts pros and semi-pros lift as part of their training.

And powerlifters are also athletes. 2 guesses as to what environment they train in.

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Also, I wouldn't take a "trainer's" word unless they have a credible degree.  I'd go to an actual doctor and have them find an actual diet that would be a tad more ideal for your body.

If you care about your health, this is what you should do. If you just want to lose weight, well... There could be many ways. Some of them may be pretty stupid from a health perspective, but weight might go down, though.

To put in differently: there could be two diets leading to the same weight loss, and one could be way less healthy than the other, or even risky. At the end of the day, we need to eat, and we need our food to provide us a number of things to be healthy. Hence, getting advice by a nutritionist is always the best choice.

6 hours ago, Urishima said:

Sure, but in the end you end up doing the same. Eat to lose weight, or eat to maintain, or eat to gain. Depending on your genetics, the threshold might be different. That's something you can figure out by experimenting. Eat the same amount of calories daily for a period of time and then see what happens to your weight. Adjust accordingly.

Yeah, no. A person's metabolism matters a great deal, and if this so-called threshold happens to be below the intake the person needs to remain healthy in his/her lifestyle, it won't be a simple matter of will and accounting.

Then there are side points, like how what you eat and your eating habits may induce more or less satiation, leading to easier or harder to follow diets, etc. But the main point is that wight loss at the expense of malnutrition is just dumb, so it's better to get advice from actual experts on nutrition.

Just now, Urishima said:

That is absolute rubbish. In pretty much any gym you will find more young people than old, and especially in martial arts pros and semi-pros lift as part of their training.

Do you think I have never been to a gym?

Of course there are young. I never said there wasn't. 

You should study classical formal logic.

I said gym is not as good as playing sport.

I said gym is good for managing injury.

i did not say gyms have no young people.

did you know power lifting is a sport. Power lifting however is not a sport for people loosing fat.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah, no. A person's metabolism matters a great deal, and if this so-called threshold happens to be below the intake the person needs to remain healthy in his/her lifestyle, it won't be a simple matter of will and accounting.

Mate, I specifically mention experimentation to figure that out.

11 minutes ago, Urishima said:

And powerlifters are also athletes. 2 guesses as to what environment they train in.

Yes I do but read my post I just sent at the same time you edited yours.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I meant the meso/endo/ecto thing and dieting towards that.  There are other things that can make people fat too like medications such as Depakote.  There are a lot of people who are fat because they're lazy, but that's not always the case.

Of course people get fat from injury and illness, I have been there. 

The meso endo and ecto stuff I don't get into. I can't remember what that is called but it comes from a doctor who practiced a very long time ago. It's like the food pyramid from the 70s and 80s, it's just a classification system made to articulate a poorly proven idea. If you work hard enough and get your heart rate up for a long period of time you will become that skinny fat burning type.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I meant the meso/endo/ecto thing and dieting towards that.  There are other things that can make people fat too like medications such as Depakote.  There are a lot of people who are fat because they're lazy, but that's not always the case.

Found a Wikipedia article on it. Dude wasn't even a medical doctor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Your trainer is a fucking idiot. 

There's really no need to go into whey and supplements, for weight loss it's as simple as calories out > calories in. (yes, there's more to it, but for the sake of someone looking to lose some weight, it's as simple as that)

All you need to do is track your nutrition (calories - fats, carbohydrates, protein) and vitamins if you really want to be pedantic. Just make sure it's balanced (everyone needs protein, probably around 40g if you're just maintaining weight and such). As long as you're burning more calories than you're consuming, you're golden. Just make sure it's healthy weight loss, and not starving yourself of vital nutrients. 

If your diet is well balanced and healthy, you shouldn't need Whey. Whey is a supplement. It supplements a diet. It's additional protein for where you don't get the target amount through your diet more or less. 

You'd be wasting money (as most trainers are anyway)

I'm not saying go crazy with formulas or anything like that  But, it is used as measurement for intake and exercise of natural foods.  I don't really think there's a single way of eating that is perfection for everyone due to things like genetics and what not.  Hence, why I mentioned earlier to see a doctor on the matter rather than going the Doc Oz method in the gym because it's the new trend.

I think we can eat whatever we want as long as it's quality, clean, and does not interact badly like allergies. There are too many fads out there.

The ketosis diet does work but I don't think it's healthy long term to starve carbs. Carbs power your brain apparently. Iv tried it and starving carbs did make me an insomniac.

There was a British guy who showed you can loose weight just drinking beer and eating sausages. He counted calories and exercised, it is that simple.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I still think the best method would seeing a doctor on the matter considering it's kinda their job to know what's best for you.  Even if you could eat "anything" that doesn't mean the same amount for one person is good for you.  Hence why we have nutritionists.  

In nz nutritionists can be frauds. There is short course they take. Only certificate level

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Any profession has frauds all over the globe. xD 
I mean at least where I live the only quacks are the ones who work for chains playing doctor.  The problem with beer is that even in moderation it can affect you brain, heart, and liver.  Plus, greasy foods aren't exactly ideal for heart health either.

Yes they acknowledged that stuff. Their point was calorie counting works and you don't need fad diets or supplement products. You just need to portion your meal appropriately. E.g. Don't eat so much mash potatoes if you know you will spend most of tomorrow on the couch.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's not as simple as caloric intake unless you want to be completely malnourished.

When you workout and I'm not just talking about weight training, you are wearing out your muscles. Running, jogging, any calisthenics are wearing down your muscles. Protein helps to rebuild your muscle. Yeah, you'll see the numbers drop on the scale but it won't be fat that you are losing and working out will get harder and harder.

Now if you are limiting your calories chances are that you are limiting your protein intake. If you are both working out and limiting your protein, you are essentially just destroying your muscle.

Furthermore the more muscle mass you have the harder your body has to work and the easier you'll burn fat.

Now, are protein supplements worth it? Yes and no.

If you are sure that you're not taking in enough protein from your food, then supplementing protein is an excellent idea.

If you're not stressing your muscles that much and are mostly relying on your diet, then supplementing protein is nothing more than a waste of money.

One last note, PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS ARE USELESS IF YOU ARE NOT EATING!!!! You can't skip meals and drink protein as a low calorie replacement. If you don't have something in your stomach when you drink the protein you will piss every single bit of it out.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -