Which way should i put my front fans

Adrian18102001

hi guys so i have 2 fans in the front but the front of my case isn't removable i have tried many times so since no air is coming in i have it so its blowing air into the open space in the front but would it be better if i switched it so its blowing air into the case although there is no coming in?

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

What about the back?  The top?  Same as the front?  

lol.

Air coming from the bottom. Air can get through anything

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Air coming from the bottom. Air can get through anything

Yeah but he's got them on the front where there is zero airflow even possible. 

There looks to be slits down the sides of the front of the case, air is likely to be able to get into the case through those.

You want the fans at the front blowing air directly into the case, you ideally want cool air in from the front, and hot air out the back. This isn't so important for the PC as long as it gets a good stream of air flow, but it means that the PC isn't blowing the hot air towards you which could become uncomfortable.

If you are unsure which way to mount the fan so the air blow inwards, you want to turn it so the fan blades are "scooping" air into the case. By "scooping" I mean the blades look like scoops and that tells you which way the air is blowing, check the image below for a visual aid:

350x700px-LL-96008a5b_fan.jpeg

2 minutes ago, FosterGuy said:

You want to make sure you are getting balanced air flow like FosterGuy is suggesting, so make sure you have either:

- More fans blowing in than blowing out (positive pressure)

or

- The same amount of fans blowing in as blowing out (neutral pressure)

The benefit to having more fans blowing in than out in is that it increases turbulent air flow which makes dust settling less common.

Let us know if you need anything else explaining, or if you want this explaining better.

1 minute ago, FosterGuy said:

Yeah but he's got them on the front where there is zero airflow even possible. 

There is airflow but not much. Also I see a screw in the front case fan. No way he can screw in the case fan without removing the front cover.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

39 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There is airflow but not much. Also I see a screw in the front case fan. No way he can screw in the case fan without removing the front cover.

thats a light switch :D i will put more images of all my fans to make it better to understand

41 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

There looks to be slits down the sides of the front of the case, air is likely to be able to get into the case through those.

You want the fans at the front blowing air directly into the case, you ideally want cool air in from the front, and hot air out the back. This isn't so important for the PC as long as it gets a good stream of air flow, but it means that the PC isn't blowing the hot air towards you which could become uncomfortable.

If you are unsure which way to mount the fan so the air blow inwards, you want to turn it so the fan blades are "scooping" air into the case. By "scooping" I mean the blades look like scoops and that tells you which way the air is blowing, check the image below for a visual aid:

350x700px-LL-96008a5b_fan.jpeg

You want to make sure you are getting balanced air flow like FosterGuy is suggesting, so make sure you have either:

- More fans blowing in than blowing out (positive pressure)

or

- The same amount of fans blowing in as blowing out (neutral pressure)

The benefit to having more fans blowing in than out in is that it increases turbulent air flow which makes dust settling less common.

Let us know if you need anything else explaining, or if you want this explaining better.

48 minutes ago, FosterGuy said:

48 minutes ago, Statik said:

giphy.gif

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are some of those annoying plastic clips like these:

Image result for front panel plastic clips pc case

They are really annoying when they have only be designed to be pushed on during the initial build. But they can be prized out relatively well when you get the right angle. You'll need to get access to the front in order to fit the fans in properly, and by properly I mean so they don't rattle about and become a serious annoyance.

2 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are some of those annoying plastic clips like these:

Image result for front panel plastic clips pc case

They are really annoying when they have only be designed to be pushed on during the initial build. But they can be prized out relatively well when you get the right angle. You'll need to get access to the front in order to fit the fans in properly, and by properly I mean so they don't rattle about and become a serious annoyance.

yeah no i can remove it but not fully should have put it the bottom cant detach becasue of the power switch and other cables that are attached 

5 minutes ago, Adrian18102001 said:

thats a light switch :D i will put more images of all my fans to make it better to understand

Look carefully at the front cover from the inside of your case and you might probably see something. Does the front have fan mounts? Yes, then there will be some vents or slits for air flow.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

i can remove it but not fully i just need to know how i should oriantate the front fans as theres no mesh grill its just solid i have 3 fans pushing air in and 2 fans (the ones in the front) pushing out is that good or should i switch the front ones so they are pushing air in?

IMG_0026.JPG

also wherever i fell the air apart from the power supply the air is really cold 

1 minute ago, Adrian18102001 said:

yeah no i can remove it but not fully should have put it the bottom cant detach becasue of the power switch and other cables that are attached 

You should be able to detach the power switch, power LED, HDD LED, reset switch, audio, and USB front IO cables from the motherboard and untangle them from the case in order to get it off properly. I would really work at it to get it off properly, when you've done it once you'll get the confidence to fiddle around with your system more, and then it becomes more fun.

i cant its glued on and i don't have the right type of glue for it 

4 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

You should be able to detach the power switch, power LED, HDD LED, reset switch, audio, and USB front IO cables from the motherboard and untangle them from the case in order to get it off properly. I would really work at it to get it off properly, when you've done it once you'll get the confidence to fiddle around with your system more, and then it becomes more fun.

is my air flow good though 3 fans pushing air in and 2 pushing air out

2 minutes ago, Adrian18102001 said:

i can remove it but not fully i just need to know how i should oriantate the front fans as theres no mesh grill its just solid i have 3 fans pushing air in and 2 fans (the ones in the front) pushing out is that good or should i switch the front ones so they are pushing air in?

IMG_0026.JPG

3 fans in and 2 out is perfectly fine. However an mATX motherboard in an ATX case is not optimal for air flow as a lot of the air won't be travelling directly over the components. However it shouldn't be too much on issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned about case size for now.

2 minutes ago, Adrian18102001 said:

i cant its glued on and i don't have the right type of glue for it 

Ahh ok, well don't worry about the front panel then. Refer to my first post for the fan orientation, have the scooping edge of the fan pointing into the case for it to push air into the case. 

5 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

3 fans in and 2 out is perfectly fine. However an mATX motherboard in an ATX case is not optimal for air flow as a lot of the air won't be travelling directly over the components. However it shouldn't be too much on issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned about case size for now.

Ahh ok, well don't worry about the front panel then. Refer to my first post for the fan orientation, have the scooping edge of the fan pointing into the case for it to push air into the case. 

ok thanks

Is that enough of an explanation, or are you still a little unsure?

Let us know and we can make sure you get the right result.

1 hour ago, Aloe Vera said:

Is that enough of an explanation, or are you still a little unsure?

Let us know and we can make sure you get the right result.

no its fine 

To add few things even this is practically solved. If you can take pic from inside the case and towards fans, we can tell to which direction they are blowing. And second point, your hand is extemely inaccurate way to measure temps. Since body temp is 35,5-37C, anything above that feels warm/hot and anything lower feels cool/cold.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

To add few things even this is practically solved. If you can take pic from inside the case and towards fans, we can tell to which direction they are blowing. And second point, your hand is extemely inaccurate way to measure temps. Since body temp is 35,5-37C, anything above that feels warm/hot and anything lower feels cool/cold.

ok but my original question wasn't about the fact that i didn't know which way they are blowing i know which way they are blowing because i put them there i was just asking if i should keep them as exhaust fans or intakes sorry if my question wasn't clear enough