Complete mechanical keyboard cleaning

Mecami

Hi guys,

I think everyone knows the situation, where your keyboard has a lot of dust, crumbs and other undefined stuff between your switches on the bottom of your keyboard.

Do you guys have any advice how to properly clean a mechanical keyboard?

I know you can just pull of all the keycaps and soak them in soapy water, but what about the basement of your keyboard? I really don't want to ruin my mx switches :(.

Btw, because I'm from Germany I practically have no access to compressed air, since it is very unpopular over here.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Remove keycaps and start blowing 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Are there any Air dusters in your stores? Or if there are any computer stores they should have an air duster

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

take off all the normal keys (not the big keys) and get some isopropyl alcohol. DO NOT REMOVE the big keys since you can break off the stablizers if u do not no what ur doing. Q-tips would also be helpful

And just start scrubbing away. 

take off all the normal keys (not the big keys) and get some isopropyl alcohol. DO NOT REMOVE the big keys since you can break off the stablizers if u do not no what ur doing. Q-tips would also be helpful

And just start scrubbing away. 

You mean like the shift key and enter key that have those metal hooks underneath them?

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

i wouldnt use water if i were u. It can damage ur keyboard if it wasnt dried properly after the cleaning.

You mean like the shift key and enter key that have those metal hooks underneath them?

ya pretty much all the bigger keys have stablizers. And depending on the oem the stabilizer could be the metal ones that can break off.

i wouldnt use water if i were u. It can damage ur keyboard if it wasnt dried properly after the cleaning.

I meant I can just toss the pulled out keys into a large bowl of soapy water and let them dry properly?

ya pretty much all the bigger keys have stablizers. And depending on the oem the stabilizer could be the metal ones that can break off.

Ok thanks, won't do it then.

I meant I can just toss the pulled out keys into a large bowl of soapy water and let them dry properly?

ya for the acutal key caps they can be wash with water and soap, but let them dry properly.

Ok thanks to all of you, much appreciated! I will head off to the store tomorrow to get some rubbing alcohol and look for an air duster. Perhaps I can find one afterall...

There are a lot of tutorials that teach you how to remove the bigger keys depending on the stabilizer type.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

There are a lot of tutorials that teach you how to remove the bigger keys depending on the stabilizer type.

^

I don't see why @Jacky is making it seem like you're going to break the stabilizers, just don't force it and it should come off easily.

P.S. @Jacky use the edit function.

^

I don't see why @Jacky is making it seem like you're going to break the stabilizers, just don't force it and it should come off easily.

P.S. @Jacky use the edit function.

Ya i should be using the edit button :P 

It is just a warning. Dont want him to break a $100+ keyboard for not knowing and you dont really need to remove them to get a good cleaning. you can get around the bigger keys by just removing the keys around them. 

Ya i should be using the edit button :P 

It is just a warning. Dont want him to break a $100+ keyboard for not knowing and you dont really need to remove them to get a good cleaning. you can get around the bigger keys by just removing the keys around them.

Naw....get the big keys off and clean the stuff below them too....must clean everywhere!!!!!

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition