AMD Ryzen 1700+After Effects Performance/Render Issues

Hello everyone,

Here are the specs:

Ryzen 1700 - running at stock no overclock yet as I haven't been able to buy after market cooler.
16gb of DDR4 RAM @3200MHz
2x GTX 1070 - not in SLI as I don't game, I use these for Octane Render (GPU based rendering)
OS SSD - 500GB
Working HDD - 1TB Western Digital Blue
Running Windows 10 64bit up to date / AE CC2017 14.2 / Cinema 4D R17 / Nvidia Drivers up to date / This is a brand new computer I just installed Windows a couple of weeks ago

Here are the issues i'm having:

1.- Using BG Renderer with Multiprocessing on and set to High Priority, I can't continue using After Effects (I can do this without issue at work on my Intel Machine which has 32GB but CPU speed is pretty much the same)
2.- Using Adobe Media Encoder to render an AE comp via Dynamic Link, same thing, AE becomes unusable.
3.- In these two screenshots you can see how using BG Renderer or AE Renderer won't use more than 25% of CPU power or more than one Thread.

595332a920310_RenderingfromBGRenderer.jpg.5448be55df4a3c6b86b158c5ada8d56d.jpg595332a7e37f9_RenderingfromAE.png.11e6d09f08c17fb8eaeaf4dcb7762cb7.png

4.- In this screenshot it's the performance when rendering out of Cinema 4D. Completely different from AE and also while rendering on C4D I can use AE simultaneously.

595332a7217e8_C4DRendering.png.a35a858d70c2cff37f3fa032e7cc3a45.png

I am pulling assets and rendering from my HDD which is very fast until I hit render. And what I am rendering from C4D is very very simple compared to all the images and effects composited in my AE comps but still don't understand why C4D makes use of all the cores and AE doesn't? why am I able to continue working normally in AE when rendering from C4D and not when using Media Encoder or BG Renderer. Why is my CPU not being used anywhere near to 100% at any point? 

Disclaimer: Haven't tried pulling and rendering to the SSD but I can't afford a 1TB SSD right now either way or more RAM.

Motion Designer and 3D Generalist

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

it's weird behaviour... if your problem was in C4D i could have helped but since that's the one that works i'm at a loss xD i think you should be able to set the exact number of cores the render can use on top of the percentage, because the only explanation i can imagine is that those presets come with settings that block that. and it's much more apparent on a 16 thread machine than on an 8 thread (intel). but i don't know for sure.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

As far as I know, some programs aren't optimized for Ryzen as they are for Intel, you could try doing what @SquintyG33Rs said and check the core settings or fiddle around with things related to the CPU.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Hiitchy said:

As far as I know, some programs aren't optimized for Ryzen as they are for Intel, you could try doing what @SquintyG33Rs said and check the core settings or fiddle around with things related to the CPU.

i don't think these fall in the category... rendering doesn't really use specific instruction sets like other "optimized" programs do. because it's basically impossible to accelerate something you can't predict what the user will edit.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

to my knowledge only older versions of after effects actually will use a cpu to it's fullest while newer version are absolute crap.

I had to switch to using 2014 after effects as the newer version also wouldn't use all of my xeons but 2014 version would just fine. The problem is more or less on adobes side.

it's amazing that they upgrade software but degrade performance, like wtf? I have 8 freaking cores and beacuse of having the newest version of AE I can't make use of all of them? that's stupid and Adobe needs to get their shit together

Motion Designer and 3D Generalist

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am new to this forum so sorry if I do not know the rules/etiquette.

in answer to your question though a couple of things to note.

AE requires way more resources then the minimum requirements listed.

Your system is woefully under resourced thus the situation you are in.

when you consiser that windows or osx for that matter require about 5GB from the 16GB of ram, you are left with around 10GB.

If you have any other applications open such as chrome you are probably left with 6 for AE.

PSD and AE and most adobe apps do nit like to or really are not capable of sharing RAM dynamically as modern apps do. (Partially because of their age, and partially because they are writen on top of an abstraction layer to make them cross platform.)  

if you ise any plugin effect these also ask for their own RAM.

In my experience 32GB of ram works well with a 4CORE stystem with AE and i am currently running x99/i7-5930k/64GB ram 

And even this amount of RAM is getting used completely by AE by itself.  I allocate 57GB to AE and it still wants more.

The other performance hole I have found is having a fast empty drive used by the AE caches only really makes a huge difference by removing pressure on other system resources allowing you to easily multitask.

hope this helps