Techpowerup "Advertorial By AMD" Draws Controversy

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Legally speaking it's on AMD.

Would they still be responsible even if the website was the one who made the fact that it is an advertisement unclear? I mean what part are the actually responsible for? Obviously the content itself is their responsibility but how it's displayed on the website doesn't seem like their responsibility. I personally don't like what the website did more than what the company did because I always take advertisements with a huge grain of salt but generally trust that review websites will provide me with relatively unbiased reviews. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I'm not sure if AMD is to blame for this. I mean isn't it kinda the website that hosted the article responsibility to make sure it's clear that it is an ad and not AMD? I just think people should be mad at the website for allowing this rather than a company doing a sponsored content piece.

It's really hard to tell who is to blame because we don't know what AMD did/say versus what TechPowerUp did.

TechPowerUp is guilty in my eyes because they published it, but if AMD demanded that for example the graph would be misleading (for example if the graph was provided by AMD, which it seems like it was) and maybe AMD said that it should be in the review section, then I think AMD are equally to blame.

So in my opinion, no matter what, TechPowerUp are to blame for allowing it to happen.

How much blame AMD shares is unknown. It might be very little, or it might be a lot. To me it seems like they share quite a bit though, because I am fairly sure for example the graph was provided by AMD, and they wanted them to use their numbers instead of running their own benchmarks.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Legally speaking it's on AMD.

Are you sure about that? That sounds pretty weird.

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I'm not sure if AMD is to blame for this. I mean isn't it kinda the website that hosted the article responsibility to make sure it's clear that it is an ad and not AMD? I just think people should be mad at the website for allowing this rather than a company doing a sponsored content piece.

It's an issue for both parties. I find it hard to believe that AMD didn't have some sort of contribution to this advertorial's presentation. The graph itself is comically bad (and misleading).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

On 7/2/2017 at 6:26 AM, HKZeroFive said:

It's an issue for both parties. I find it hard to believe that AMD didn't have some sort of contribution to this advertorial's presentation. The graph itself is comically bad (and misleading).

It's a sponsored content piece. I would be more surprised if it didn't have misleading content. Honestly as much as I don't like companies doing stuff like that I also realize that it's what alot of them do and it probably won't stop anytime soon. I 100% agree that amd is probably responsible for what is in the piece but I also think that how it was presented on the website wasn't amd's fault.