r9 290 vs 780 Ti

damieny

Hello,newbie here.

Need advice on what to choose for 3 monitor high-end gaming setup.(single GPU)

The r9 290 seems to be good for that,but i've heard that it get's too hot,and with a very loud fan(and even at 100% it's still hot)

for surround gaming I recommend the r9 290 (aftermarket when out) the bigger bus will help at the higher res also flash the 290 to an r9 290x if you want a little more performance + eyefinity is a much better experience in my opinion 

For 3 monitor gaming i always suggest eyefinity over nvidia surround, it just doesn't cause as much problems

(plus the 290 is a hellova lot cheaper.)

If you really want to crank it up then you might want to get crossfire.

How hot does it get at 100% fan speed?I don't care how loud it is anymore.

How hot does it get at 100% fan speed?I don't care how loud it is anymore.

Well it is almost 95 Degrees at all time and it is really loud the 780 ti performs better is quiter and runs cooler but Nvidia surround isnt as good as eyefinity so I would go with 780 ti if you want cool and quite and the 290x if you want better 3 monitor gaming

Well it is almost 95 Degrees at all time and it is really loud the 780 ti performs better is quiter and runs cooler but Nvidia surround isnt as good as eyefinity so I would go with 780 ti if you want cool and quite and the 290x if you want better 3 monitor gaming

Is it safe to game on that temperature?If not,what are the consequences if i may ask?

Is it safe to game on that temperature?If not,what are the consequences if i may ask?

Well AMD said that the cards are designed to run at 95 degrees but higher temps can cause instability and lower lifetime for the components but you can always control the temps and set a maximum you are comfortable with (80 degrees is what I recommend as maximum) but when you set a maximum there the card will run slower I still insist in getting a 780 ti it is just quiter,cooler,better performing

It is completely safe, otherwise AMD wouldn't be selling the 290.

You have to remember that 480s ran just as hot and they're still working today.

Two R9 290s in crossfire cost only $100 more than a GTX 780 TI and offer double the performance in eyefinity.

AMD introduced hardware frame-pacing with the R9 290X & 290, so you will not experience any micro-stutter.

The significantly higher memory bandwidth and the larger memory on the R9 290 will come in very handy in such a high resolution setup.

I would highly suggest waiting for non-reference coolers, not necessarily for the lower temperatures but for a much quieter operation.

Well AMD said that the cards are designed to run at 95 degrees but higher temps can cause instability and lower lifetime for the components but you can always control the temps and set a maximum you are comfortable with (80 degrees is what I recommend as maximum) but when you set a maximum there the card will run slower I still insist in getting a 780 ti it is just quiter,cooler,better performing

Don't fall for the hype the 780 Ti is only marginally quieter than the 290X or 290, the temperatures are a mute point really, AMD says 95c is safe and has the same warranty policy as Nvidia to back it up.

The 780 Ti is actually much much slower for the price compared to the R9 290, you get 10% more performance for an 80% price increase.

Not only that but you also get less overall memory and less memory bandwidth, some games already use close to 2GB of memory in 1920x1080, 3GB for a 3-monitor setup is going to be a real problem.

It is completely safe, otherwise AMD wouldn't be selling the 290.

You have to remember that 480s ran just as hot and they're still working today.

Two R9 290s in crossfire cost only $100 more than a GTX 780 TI and offer double the performance in eyefinity.

AMD introduced hardware frame-pacing with the R9 290X & 290, so you will not experience any micro-stutter.

The significantly higher memory bandwidth and the larger memory on the R9 290 will come in very handy in such a high resolution setup.

I would highly suggest waiting for non-reference coolers, not necessarily for the lower temperatures but for a much quieter operation.

I was planning to,but i haven't heard any news so far from partners making a non-reference card.Also what are the cons of two r9 290 crossfire? LIke temps,and noise.

I am sure that when asus releases their direct cu implementation of the 290 which will be awesome, it will have the temps and noise similar to that of all other asus cards. the loud fan is really just amd's bad manufacturing, nothing to do with the gpu itself which has an unbeatable price to performance ratio. 

I was planning to,but i haven't heard any news so far from partners making a non-reference card.Also what are the cons of two r9 290 crossfire? LIke temps,and noise.

More power consumption, higher temp, frame instability, and as for noise just like a jet taking off

Don't fall for the hype the 780 Ti is only marginally quieter than the 290X or 290, the temperatures are a mute point really, AMD says 95c is safe and has the same warranty policy as Nvidia to back it up.

The 780 Ti is actually much much slower for the price compared to the R9 290, you get 10% more performance for an 80% price increase.

Not only that but you also get less overall memory and less memory bandwidth, some games already use close to 2GB of memory in 1920x1080, 3GB for a 3-monitor setup is going to be a real problem.

Come on man you can only cling to the 290 and 290x for the price I think that the price should not matter if you want a great build you should get sth that is quick,quite and fast I agree that the 290 is a great bang for buck but until 3rd party coolers come in it will just be too hot and loud than the 780 ti

According to several sources non-reference designs should come by the end of the month, only a week left so not too long from now.

You will need a good power supply, preferably 850W or more with good efficiency.

For the reference design temperatures will remain the same but noise will go up because you will have to cards in your system.

I really don't recommend the reference design in any circumstance except for water cooling, just be patient for one more week and it will be well worth it.

Non-reference designs don't just mean less noise but also much better performance and overclocking headroom.

According to several sources non-reference designs should come by the end of the month, only a week left so not too long from now.

You will need a good power supply, preferably 850W or more with good efficiency.

For the reference design temperatures will remain the same but noise will go up because you will have to cards in your system.

I really don't recommend the reference design in any circumstance except for water cooling, just be patient for one more week and it will be well worth it.

Non-reference designs don't just mean less noise but also much better performance and overclocking headroom.

Ok,seems i'll go with the r9 290 when the non reference cooler comes.Thanks for all your adivces everyone :)

Is 850W enough?or is it just a minimum and i need more?I probably don't care much anymore about the sound,as long as it can't wake up my family or neighbors in Midnight while playing BF4 for example.

Ok,seems i'll go with the r9 290 when the non reference cooler comes.Thanks for all your adivces everyone :)

Is 850W enough?or is it just a minimum and i need more?I probably don't care much anymore about the sound,as long as it can't wake up my family or neighbors in Midnight while playing BF4 for example.

850W for crossfire, 550W for a single card.

Even if you don't care about noise, you will probably care about performance and custom cards will cost exactly the same and be significantly faster.

A custom 290 would be as fast as a 290X. Also reference coolers are hellishly difficult to clean.

850W for crossfire, 550W for a single card.

Even if you don't care about noise, you will probably care about performance and custom cards will cost exactly the same and be significantly faster.

A custom 290 would be as fast as a 290X. Also reference coolers are hellishly difficult to clean.

Will Crossfire work for,for example 1 Asus R9 290 and 1 Gigabyte R9 290? just in case.

I been running Nvidia Surround for a while and I enjoy the experience. The big problems I been having is these monitors not calibrating to the same colors across all 3. But it terms of Nvidia surround everything runs just fine on the games that support it. I don't see where eyefinity has improved on? It mite be one of those relative things where if haven't run a 3 monitor set-up before, either AMD eyefinity or Nvidia surround. Either one would seem just fine to you.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Great choice