Should I get an HTC Vive off of Ebay?

IsaacThePooper

I see a lot of pretty decently priced HTC Vive's from Developers that had the pre-version and are just trying to sell them for about $500 USD.

They're from trusted sellers with really positive feedback and have been selling on Ebay for more than 3 years.

Should I go for it? Can I return it if it arrives broken?

3 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Questions like this always make me smile because your answering your own question. Should you go for it? If you feel its a good value, then ya. Can you return it? Look at the return policy for the product on the page. Either way your probably going to be just fine.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

I wouldn't buy it.  I would instead save up for the Vive 2.  It will most likely be cheaper and will offer more for the money than the original Vive in terms of its support for games.

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

Questions like this always make me smile because your answering your own question. Should you go for it? If you feel its a good value, then ya. Can you return it? Look at the return policy for the product on the page. Either way your probably going to be just fine.

All of them have "Ebay Money Back Garuntee" thing so, I read the guidelines and it does say if it arrives broken or doesn't even arrive at all, you can get your money back. I just want to see if any you guys had any experiences with Ebay shopping.

Just now, lilbman said:

I wouldn't buy it.  I would instead save up for the Vive 2.  It will most likely be cheaper and will offer more for the money than the original Vive in terms of its support for games.

Vive 2? When is that coming out? Where did you hear that?

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

I just want to see if any you guys had any experiences with Ebay shopping.

Yes I buy and sell all the time and they are always on the ball. 

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

If you think it's worth the money, sure. 

Most of the headsets being sold on there will be someone who bought it, used it for a bit then found it was just gathering dust so they're selling it. That's exactly what I did with my Oculus Rift DK2. 

Make sure you read the description carefully to see if there's any faults mentioned and check what condition it is listed as. If it's advertised as working and it arrives broken, you should be able to return it just fine. Even if the seller refuses, eBay is massively biased to the buyers and is good at getting people their money back if something is advertised in a misleading way. 

There have been rumors. It will probably be out next year but heres a link to all of the latest rumors about it-LINK

Rumors of a 2 have been floating around since a month after release. 

Personally (having a vive and returning it for some off issues with my old rig), i'd make sure that there are plenty of games you'd actually play before jumping the gun

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Make sure you read the description carefully to see if there's any faults mentioned and check what condition it is listed as. If it's advertised as working and it arrives broken, you should be able to return it just fine. Even if the seller refuses, eBay is massively biased to the buyers and is good at getting people their money back if something is advertised in a misleading way. 

Of course, I'll be really careful with purchasing a $500 product. ;-;

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

There have been rumors. It will probably be out next year but heres a link to all of the latest rumors about it-LINK

Yeah yeah, they've been just "rumors". I hardly ever trust rumors, especially ones that have been out for a while. I think they're just going to do upgrades to the already existing HTC Vive, like that audio strap thing.

Yeah yeah, they've been just "rumors". I hardly ever trust rumors, especially ones that have been out for a while. I think they're just going to do upgrades to the already existing HTC Vive, like that audio strap thing.

I suggest you wait, but if you really truly feel that you would get use out of a Vive, go for it.  Like someone else said, make sure there are games that you want to play before buying one.

3 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Personally (having a vive and returning it for some off issues with my old rig), i'd make sure that there are plenty of games you'd actually play before jumping the gun

Yeah there are tons of games that I'd like to play, I tried the Vive out at a Microsoft store and I thought it was amazing! I'm also going to use it to develop VR games, since they're realitivly easy to make on Unreal 4, I've already got a project going that I've been working on for a few months now... I just can't test it. lol

Yeah there are tons of games that I'd like to play, I tried the Vive out at a Microsoft store and I thought it was amazing! I'm also going to use it to develop VR games, since they're realitivly easy to make on Unreal 4, I've already got a project going that I've been working on for a few months now... I just can't test it. lol

Ahh. That makes more sense.

Definitely an awesome experience. Kind of wish I still had it. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

16 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I see a lot of pretty decently priced HTC Vive's from Developers that had the pre-version and are just trying to sell them for about $500 USD.

They're from trusted sellers with really positive feedback and have been selling on Ebay for more than 3 years.

All ebay items that are stated as working have buyer protection, so even if it does show up broken you will get your money back 99.9% of the time. So yes I would say it is worth it.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Just now, ShadowArk said:

All ebay items that are stated as working have buyer protection, so even if it does show up broken you will get your money back 99.9% of the time. So yes I would say it is worth it.

Okay cool.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:36 AM, lilbman said:

I suggest you wait, but if you really truly feel that you would get use out of a Vive, go for it.  Like someone else said, make sure there are games that you want to play before buying one.

A new Vive would be better. They have a good deal right now for $750 for $50 steam card vive and bridge crew. On of my fav games 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal