Powers on but no display.

lukesterboy

Was just on my computer it was working fine then it froze and made a horrible sound out the speakers. I waited 10 minutes it was still frozen so I turned it off. I've turned it back on but there is no display, not post no anything. No lights on peripherals but there is lights on the fans and fans are spinning.

If you need specs just ask, it's a weird build. Parts from a pre built etc.

It has been fine for over the past year, never had an issue and suddenly this happens.

I've tried turning the pc off unplugging it, pressing the button while unplugged to discharge it and starting it again but still no display.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: also it does this...

Start by clearing CMOS, unplug the PC from the wall, press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds then remove the battery from the board. After around 2 minutes replace the battery and try again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Wufflez said:

My guess is your PSU went capoot.

Really, then why are the fans spinning?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Ahh missed that detail. Then I redirect my blame towards the motherboard

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Start by clearing CMOS, unplug the PC from the wall, press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds then remove the battery from the board. After around 2 minutes replace the battery and try again.

Ok, I'll give it a try now.

3 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

Ahh missed that detail. Then I redirect my blame towards the motherboard

I hope not but at the same time I have a feeling it is too. :(

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Tried it, still no luck. I tried removing the batteries in multiple different ways discharging the pc between each attempt.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

Tried it, still no luck. I tried removing the batteries in multiple different ways discharging the pc between each attempt.

Batteries?

It should be a single cell battery on the board, like this...

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Batteries?

It should be a single cell battery on the board, like this...

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

Yes the CMOS battery* sorry it was spell check correcting it to batteries.

I mean I've tried switching the pc off, discharging it then removing the battery. Waiting 2 minutes then switching it back on. As well as just turning it off removing battery, putting it back then turning it back on.

Both ways show no improvement.

2 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Yes the CMOS battery* sorry it was spell check correcting it to batteries.

I mean I've tried switching the pc off, discharging it then removing the battery. Waiting 2 minutes then switching it back on. As well as just turning it off removing battery, putting it back then turning it back on.

Both ways show no improvement.

Then I hate to be the bearer of bad news but something died, IMO its either CPU or RAM but unless you've got spare components lying around there's really no way for you to diagnose this.

Your best solution is to take it to a PC shop and ask them to bench test the components to determine which one died and if its economical to repair or not.

Then I hate to be the bearer of bad news but something died, IMO its either CPU or RAM but unless you've got spare components lying around there's really no way for you to diagnose this.

Your best solution is to take it to a PC shop and ask them to bench test the components to determine which one died and if its economical to repair or not.

I got 3 sticks of ram in there, just taken 2 out and left 1 in and got a post. Think maybe one of the sticks of ram has died.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

I got 3 sticks of ram in there, just taken 2 out and left 1 in and got a post. Think maybe one of the sticks of ram has died.

Yeah that's very possible, try all 3 one at a time and see which one doesn't boot.

I'm glad its RAM and not CPU, its the easier to diagnose and fix :)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah that's very possible, try all 3 one at a time and see which one doesn't boot.

Yep, I'll try and figure out which one is bad.

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I've tried each of them 1 by 1 and they all work by themselves. I had all 3 in there before working perfectly fine so it's weird?

I have 2x2gb (matching pair) and 1x4gb (different brand), as I said this worked before.

How should I set out the ram, should I put the 2x2gb in the same colour slots and the other in a different colour slot?

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It actually matters,the fans can spin in some cases,and other stuff got power,but no POST,and can be the PSU,since it matters most on how much amperage it is correctly providing,and without that,there will be no post

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

8 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

I've tried each of them 1 by 1 and they all work by themselves. I had all 3 in there before working perfectly fine so it's weird?

I have 2x2gb (matching pair) and 1x4gb (different brand), as I said this worked before.

How should I set out the ram, should I put the 2x2gb in the same colour slots and the other in a different colour slot?

First Try 1 Stick (Which you did)

Then add the other matching stick,see if it POSTs

Then try with the 4 GB stick,and again see if it will posts,

Slots typically won't matter for a POST,it just will not run in Dual channel/Quad channel but single channel,but it is absolutely fine for a test,but I typically won't use that setup you use for day to day basis (which I do,but im sort of limited,so for me it's fine since i dont touch the system anyway,xD)

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

12 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

First Try 1 Stick (Which you did)

Then add the other matching stick,see if it POSTs

Then try with the 4 GB stick,and again see if it will posts,

Slots typically won't matter for a POST,it just will not run in Dual channel/Quad channel but single channel,but it is absolutely fine for a test,but I typically won't use that setup you use for day to day basis (which I do,but im sort of limited,so for me it's fine since i dont touch the system anyway,xD)

Ok. I'll try that. Well I use that that configuration before day to day, I'm limited too haha. Oh well. Make do with what you got ay.

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

It actually matters,the fans can spin in some cases,and other stuff got power,but no POST,and can be the PSU,since it matters most on how much amperage it is correctly providing,and without that,there will be no post

If the PSU died (as was suggested) then nothing would get power, it wouldn't matter how much draw there is, a dead PSU is a dead PSU regardless.

If the PSU died (as was suggested) then nothing would get power, it wouldn't matter how much draw there is, a dead PSU is a dead PSU regardless.

If it totally died then that is the case.

Well this problems is all fixed anyway! Computer is just a bit picky of the ram.

I'll try and get some new ram soon, perhaps 2x8gb. Or 4x4gb.

24 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Well this problems is all fixed anyway! Computer is just a bit picky of the ram.

I'll try and get some new ram soon, perhaps 2x8gb. Or 4x4gb.

Ok,well atleast the system works.