Witch Nas to choose between those two

Synology ds1517+ or qnap ts 563

Witch one too choose

I currently using a Unraid server just want a smaller server using less power and more compact. 

I will run few VM, applications from the server and webhost. 

1 2 3 go

You won't be able to run VMs on either to my knowledge. You can run the VMs off of them (i.e. iSCSI or NFS), but you can't use them as the host.

-KuJoe

QNAP TS-453B or QNAP TS-653A are better than the QNAP TS-563 and are in the price range.

All listed options are crap for running VMs though.

37 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You won't be able to run VMs on either to my knowledge. You can run the VMs off of them (i.e. iSCSI or NFS), but you can't use them as the host.

You can host VMs on these NAS's but I wouldn't do it on any mentioned so far, have to go much more up market to get any resemblance of decent performance.

Just now, leadeater said:

You can host VMs on these NAS's but I wouldn't do it on any mentioned so far, have to go much more up market to get any resemblance of decent performance.

Really? It's in the NAS software? Why would they offer such a feature on an Atom based device? That seems silly.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Really? It's in the NAS software? Why would they offer such a feature on an Atom based device? That seems silly.

More an OS feature, they can host containers and VMs. Looking at something like this if you want to host VMs, TVS-871T-i7-16G: Quad-core Intel® Core™ i7-4790S 3.2GHz @ $2.2K diskless.

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=198

Better off waiting for QNAP to release their Ryzen range of NAS's if direct VM hosting is a requirement.

Edit:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11523/qnap-launches-ts1277-nas-with-amd-ryzen-cpus

2299? 

Lol

All I need is a home base with minimum 5 Bay in the less then 1000$ range. 

For the VM I won't be gaming on it or anything just possibly light Linux running don't need 20 core. 

2 hours ago, Armymen said:

2299? 

Lol

All I need is a home base with minimum 5 Bay in the less then 1000$ range. 

For the VM I won't be gaming on it or anything just possibly light Linux running don't need 20 core. 

Pre-built NAS's like these are just expensive and come with very weak CPUs, at $2000 you are struggling to even get 4 cores at high-end laptop performance levels.

You'll be fine with the ones listed above, the cheaper ones, if you are going to be running CLI Linux only as that is light weight enough.

Edit:

Also it's the combination of roles that is the main problem, if you're doing large file transfers the VM is going to get very little CPU time and will perform very badly and the same will happen in reverse if you put a large load on the VM.

Thanks I may consider the QNAP TS-653A. Will try to get it on special lol. 

Thank again

Also is both qnap and synology have some type of hybrid raid like unraid where you only need 1 hard drive as a parity drive? 

For my setup I will have 

2x 6 tb

2x 3 tb

1x 4 tb

On unraid this show up as 16 Tb.