About Fan Connectors

Supreme-frost

Hi guys, I was wondering you could help me withy something, I currently have two 3 pin fans for my case. I am aware that if I connected them via 4 pin Molex, it would run at full speed all the time and ihave no control over it. if they were 4 pins i would be able to adjust the speed on my motherboard. but, how about my 3 pin fans, is there a way I could control the speed of this or better still can my motherboard control these for me based on my case temps. i know my mobo is able to recognize the fans as I can see them in the bios as well as their speeds, there is also an option to enable fan control. I also noticed that my case gets louder during more demanding gaming sessions as my GPU gets quite hot (R9 280X), is the noise because the fan speeds are increasing. Am I better off swapping my fans out for 4 pin ones if I want more control? hope I am making sense and Thanks for the Help :)

A fan controller would do it. You can get ones that go in the front 5.25" bays and are controlled manually, or you can get ones that are controlled through software, or ones that take a single PWM input and then regulate 3 pin fans from that. 

You can also use molex and do a little tweak so it runs at half speed.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

8 minutes ago, Supreme-frost said:

Hi guys, I was wondering you could help me withy something, I currently have two 3 pin fans for my case. I am aware that if I connected them via 4 pin Molex, it would run at full speed all the time and ihave no control over it. if they were 4 pins i would be able to adjust the speed on my motherboard. but, how about my 3 pin fans, is there a way I could control the speed of this or better still can my motherboard control these for me based on my case temps. i know my mobo is able to recognize the fans as I can see them in the bios as well as their speeds, there is also an option to enable fan control. I also noticed that my case gets louder during more demanding gaming sessions as my GPU gets quite hot (R9 280X), is the noise because the fan speeds are increasing. Am I better off swapping my fans out for 4 pin ones if I want more control? hope I am making sense and Thanks for the Help :)

All of my fans are 3-pin, and I can control what percentage of top speed they run at with fan curves in MSI control center(I have a MSI board)

2 minutes ago, BeastGaming231 said:

All of my fans are 3-pin, and I can control what percentage of top speed they run at with fan curves in MSI control center(I have a MSI board)

I also have a Msi board, I'm not sure if mine can do fan curves though

MSI 911-7A70-003 PRO VDH Kaby Lake Intel B250 DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard

2 minutes ago, Supreme-frost said:

Ok will do, thanks a lot :)

It should be noted that changing anything through Command Center is only for that session (until you restart your PC), you can save/load profiles but it won't be done automatically on boot (not in my experience anyway).

I just found this out in a thread I posted earlier today, that once you have got your fan curve how you want it, you can make the changes permanent in the BIOS - at least on my MSI motherboard. If it's a similar BIOS to mine, then just go into the BIOS and go into "Hardware Monitor", this is where the fan curves can be changed.

12 minutes ago, MrDKOz said:

It should be noted that changing anything through Command Center is only for that session (until you restart your PC), you can save/load profiles but it won't be done automatically on boot (not in my experience anyway).

I just found this out in a thread I posted earlier today, that once you have got your fan curve how you want it, you can make the changes permanent in the BIOS - at least on my MSI motherboard. If it's a similar BIOS to mine, then just go into the BIOS and go into "Hardware Monitor", this is where the fan curves can be changed.

Alright Bro will keep that in Mind, Thanks for the heads up.