Hard drive only recognized after reseating sata cable

Mobrockers
Go to solution Solved by Mobrockers,

If anyone comes across the same issue in the future, don't be dumb like me and buy a new hard drive and sata cables before you check the sata ribbon cables are still properly seated in your modular power supply..

Today realized my psu is modular, so the ribbon cable needs to be plugged in to the psu.. And I never checked if it properly was.

And yea, it wasn't. So that's most likely why this weird issue kept happening randomly while the drives all seemed fine. My psu is semi-modular so all other components were functioning perfectly fine.. Only my hard drives were not getting enough power. My boot drive is an ssd which I guess uses less power so did not have any issues.

Whenever I start my desktop I need to reseat my sata cable before my data drive is recognized, I've switched the sata cable and port with my ssd a bunch of times and it has not helped. SSD works fine. It also did not used to do this when I first built the system some years ago.

I've ordered a new hard drive and sata cables to replace my data drive already but just want to have some confirmation that my hard drive is most likely the issue here and not my psu not providing enough power or something.

I am also wondering if it might be a good idea to keep the other drive and put them in raid1 to at least have some replication with it. The drive seems to work perfectly fine once it's recognized and when it is not recognized I should still be able to use the new drive to access my files right? Worst case the drive doesn't help me get my filesystem back if the new one dies as well, is that correct?

Current setup:

• Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
  • Asus z87-a
  • Intel i5 4670K
  • G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL - DDR3
  • Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X
  • Samsung 850 Evo Boot drive
  • Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001
  • CoolerMaster V550 Semi-Modular

New hard drive:

• Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006

3 minutes ago, Mobrockers said:

-SNIP-

fix for nighttheme users

http://prntscr.com/fl8260

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

fix for nighttheme users

http://prntscr.com/fl8260

Dunno what happened there, just copy pasted from the sticky. It's fixed now for me if I switch to night mode, can you confirm?

Just now, Mobrockers said:

Dunno what happened there, just copy pasted from the sticky. It's fixed now for me if I switch to night mode, can you confirm?

fixed now :)

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

• 2 months later...

If anyone comes across the same issue in the future, don't be dumb like me and buy a new hard drive and sata cables before you check the sata ribbon cables are still properly seated in your modular power supply..

Today realized my psu is modular, so the ribbon cable needs to be plugged in to the psu.. And I never checked if it properly was.

And yea, it wasn't. So that's most likely why this weird issue kept happening randomly while the drives all seemed fine. My psu is semi-modular so all other components were functioning perfectly fine.. Only my hard drives were not getting enough power. My boot drive is an ssd which I guess uses less power so did not have any issues.