NiceHash trouble with RX480

Hey there!

I recently got back to mining on my 2 rigs, one running a 1080, the other one an RX480. On the former one NiceHash runs just fine, but on the latter things are different:

I started using the current driver, which resulted in the Benchmarks not completing, and the system crashing.

When I installed the recommended driver 16.11.5 the system didn't crash anymore, but neither did the benchmarks complete.

The weird thing is, that if I run the miners that come packaged with NiceHash manually, it works fine...

Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

The weird thing is, that if I run the miners that come packaged with NiceHash manually, it works fine...

you mean the algorithm's?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Are you benching the CPU at the sametime? For Nicehash I always make sure the CPU is deselected as its just not worth toasting the CPU to mine.

Just now, 2bitmarksman said:

Are you benching the CPU at the sametime? For Nicehash I always make sure the CPU is deselected as its just not worth toasting the CPU to mine.

Nope, CPU is off entirely in NiceHash, not profitable in my region :)

Can you benchmark them one at a time in the Settings menu? See which one(s) crash it?

5 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Hey there!

I recently got back to mining on my 2 rigs, one running a 1080, the other one an RX480. On the former one NiceHash runs just fine, but on the latter things are different:

I started using the current driver, which resulted in the Benchmarks not completing, and the system crashing.

When I installed the recommended driver 16.11.5 the system didn't crash anymore, but neither did the benchmarks complete.

Any ideas?

Are you testing on an OC card? Try to revert the OC.

Try driver version 15.12, it's recommended for Claymore's miner and I bet works well with other miners too.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, 2bitmarksman said:

Can you benchmark them one at a time in the Settings menu? See which one(s) crash it?

I remember trying that, and having every single one crash on me, but I am repeating it right now just to be safe :) 

Just now, Energycore said:

Are you testing on an OC card? Try to revert the OC.

Jup, was the first thing I did

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Try driver version 15.12, it's recommended for Claymore's miner and I bet works well with other miners too.

Will do, when the current test is over :) 

4 minutes ago, 2bitmarksman said:

DaggerHashimoto, Equihash and X11Gost don't complete, CryptoNight, Pascal reliably crash NiceHash.

Meanwhile GPU-Z never shows higher clockspeeds than 300-600MHz and often not even 100% load... I am off going to install 15.12 now :) 

4 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

DaggerHashimoto, Equihash and X11Gost don't complete, CryptoNight, Pascal reliably crash NiceHash.

Meanwhile GPU-Z never shows higher clockspeeds than 300-600MHz and often not even 100% load... I am off going to install 15.12 now :) 

Alright, if for some reason that doesn't help, make sure the BIOS is up to date as well. Could be just some odd issue with that.

12 minutes ago, 2bitmarksman said:

Alright, if for some reason that doesn't help, make sure the BIOS is up to date as well. Could be just some odd issue with that.

After not being able to find an official download on the bloody AMD website, I downloaded the supposed 15.12 version from Guru3D... After uninstalling the old driver, and installing the "new" one, making sure that all "download lastest drivers" check boxes were unselected, AMD software and GPU-Z showed 17.10 as my driver version... Do you know where I can find that version? 

16 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

After not being able to find an official download on the bloody AMD website, I downloaded the supposed 15.12 version from Guru3D... After uninstalling the old driver, and installing the "new" one, making sure that all "download lastest drivers" check boxes were unselected, AMD software and GPU-Z showed 17.10 as my driver version... Do you know where I can find that version? 

I am afraid not. I haven't had an AMD card for about 3 years now :<

42 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ok, I used AMDs AMDcleanuputility, rebooted the system and unplugged my network cable. I then installed the 15.12 driver I downloaded from Guru3D... Now neither GPU-Z, nor NiceHash recognise my card and the AMD software is nowhere to be found...

And I probably know why: 15.12 does not support RX cards

1 minute ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Ok, I used AMDs AMDcleanuputility, rebooted the system and unplugged my network cable. I then installed the 15.12 driver I downloaded from Guru3D... Now neither GPU-Z, nor NiceHash recognise my card and the AMD software is nowhere to be found...

15.12 doesn't support the RX 480.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

15.12 doesn't support the RX 480.

Jup, I know 

And I probably know why: 15.12 does not support RX cards

But I wanted to try everything that is suggested in this thread :) 

36 minutes ago, 2bitmarksman said:

just checked the Asus website they don't seem to have any BIOS there, so I guess the factory BIOS is up to date

Ok, I reinstalled windows, installed 16.11.5 and ran NiceHash, same result... Do I really have to RMA my card, or give up mining?

Have you tried another card in the same motherboard slot? It could be the motherboard not being up to snuff. If possible try the card in another motherboard and see if it works.

6 minutes ago, 2bitmarksman said:

Have you tried another card in the same motherboard slot? It could be the motherboard not being up to snuff. If possible try the card in another motherboard and see if it works.

I can try swapping the slot, trying another card won't be possible for a few weeks

I can try swapping the slot, trying another card won't be possible for a few weeks

Is there another x16 slot you can plug it into?

Is there another x16 slot you can plug it into?

Nope, there was just one x8 electrical, x16 physical slot available to me, plugging into that resulted in NiceHash not recognizing the GPU.

I also tried using the IGPU as a primary display adapter, but that also resulted in no GPU being detected in NiceHash.

I had one "good" idea to troubleshoot this: my home server... but that little bastard has no PCI power connectors, so I had to do some questionable things to get it to work

Spoiler

said questionable things

Right now I am writing to you from my Laptop, since I have only one network cable at my desk and that is needed by my server...

In about 2-3h, when the win10 ISO is downloaded, I'll setup a VM and try from there.

I'll keep you guys posted

Alright sounds good. Might not answer right away as it's getting close to bedtime for me but I check the forums quite frequently when I'm up :P

Alright sounds good. Might not answer right away as it's getting close to bedtime for me but I check the forums quite frequently when I'm up :P

^^Have a good night sleep (I skipped mine :P

3 hours ago, 2bitmarksman said:

I am done.

The GPU pass through did not work and I reverted everything to it's prior state.

I checked the NiceHash website and saw, that 99% of the time DaggerHashimoto is the most profitable, so i set the Benchmark time to 5 seconds and benchmarked only that. Now I mine DaggerHashimoto at a rather pleasant 1.8mBTC a day ... at least until the system crashes (times to happen range from about a minute to 5) and probably calling a customer support tomorrow.