Suddenly My Pc Wont Turn On, Plz Help!

DisconnectedYT

My pc that ive had for 3 years now suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Out of nowhere it will not post.

I think that it may be my PSU but I have no idea what has caused the issue

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3

Ram: 4x2GB Kingston KVR 1333Mhz

GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB

Mobo: Msi Z97 Gaming 3

PSU: WideTech 750W PSU

Storage: Samsung SSD

Is there any way to check if it the PSU's fault? When I plug the power cable into the PSU I hear a tiny zap and the Cmos Light for the mobo works when I use a screwdriver but nothing else at all happens

Please Help, Thank You!

maybe you should have gotten a good psu not one that blew your case & ram. Just saying

NO

IMO, definitely the PSU. Never heard of WideTech. Buy a PSU by a good brand, such as EVGA (don't buy the 80+ white PSUs though), Corsair, Seasonic (Pretty much all Seasonic PSUs are good), etc.

And about how to test the PSU, try another PSU, but make sure it's a good, reliable brand you know (I'd personally go for Seasonic, they make brilliant PSUs).

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

IMO, definitely the PSU. Never heard of WideTech. Buy a PSU by a good brand, such as EVGA (don't buy the 80+ white PSUs though), Corsair, Seasonic (Pretty much all Seasonic PSUs are good), etc.

Honestly, you'll be lucky if some of your components weren't taken with the PSU.

he is my friend and case (buttons) and a ram module were blow up (when he bought the psu i said why don't you get a good 550w for the same price but no he defiantly need that 200w for a 480 and a 4 core xeon)

NO

Probably is, judging by what you say happens when you plug the psu in.

You could try the paper clip method to see if you can turn the psu on (search it up), but it's probably dead.

Spend money on a decent psu next time, it sounds horrible.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, nebula33 said:

he is my friend and case (buttons) and a ram module were blow up (when he bought the psu i said why don't you get a good 550w for the same price but no he defiantly need that 200w for a 480 and a 4 core xeon)

You may be able to replace the case and dead RAM module if you look on ebay.

Also, if you're lucky the rest of your pc won't be dead. It's possible your psu took some other components with it. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You could try the paper clip method to see if you can turn the psu on (search it up), but it's probably dead.

NO

2 minutes ago, nebula33 said:

?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I used that trick and the PSU turns on now???? but not when plugged into the pc?

14 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

I used that trick and the PSU turns on now???? but not when plugged into the pc?

Is there another psu you can test the system with? Or a different system you can test the psu with?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

IMO That might be not having enough power / something shorting. (idk anything about how much power your PC components use), but either stuff is drawing too much power or something, maybe a cable or component might be causing problems with the PSU. When I first saw this thread I instantly thought PSU. Get a good PSU. Here is a decent cheap one on newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&cm_re=750_watt_psu-_-17-182-133-_-Product 

18 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

you could use my penguin powersupply :)

NO

51 minutes ago, CakeArmy_Max said:

IMO That might be not having enough power / something shorting. (idk anything about how much power your PC components use), but either stuff is drawing too much power or something, maybe a cable or component might be causing problems with the PSU. When I first saw this thread I instantly thought PSU. Get a good PSU. Here is a decent cheap one on newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&cm_re=750_watt_psu-_-17-182-133-_-Product 

I'm buying the Corsair RMx 550w Gold soon but not yet

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, nebula33 said:

you could use my penguin powersupply :)

I figured out what killed my pc neb, I put the 6+2 connector in the 4+4 CPU power spot......

33 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

I figured out what killed my pc neb, I put the 6+2 connector in the 4+4 CPU power spot......

Theoretically that shouldn't actually cause damage...

13 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Theoretically that shouldn't actually cause damage...

but realisticly it did rip

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not entirely sure how it could have, it would have put a dead short across the PSU, preventing it from turning on

His PSU was shit and probably shorted killing some components 

NO