Do we really need better CPU at this time?

2 hours ago, asand1 said:

In comparison, I wonder what the improvement between c2q and the i7 2600 was. I think the point was that real improvement comes slower than earlier CPU tech did. After 2600 there were no giant leaps.

True. Intel has been lazy...

I have a old first gen  i7 (with the 3 numbers I forgot the name) laptop and a friend has exactly the same laptop with a second gen i7. The difference is massive especially the power usage.

I don't think so.
OLD xeons like w3690 or x5650 can still outperform the intel latest gen 6700k and 7700k in multicore ( CPU-Z validator ). 
Where as in cinebench W3690 scores 812.
I paired it with gtx 960 and even on demanding games like GTA V, BF1. my CPU never go above 40-50%, still able to push card to 99%.
So yea i don't think so we need new gens specially if you have the knowledge to buy the computers. 
Yet many people do not know the performance of old xeons ( as xeons are tag as " not good for gamin ") which is not true.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w