Can you overclock the regular 'Aorus GTX 1080 Ti' to match the 'Xtreme Edition'?

I've been eyeing the 'Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition' for the past week as an upgrade from the 'ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti Amp! Edition'. I've noticed that it comes in two flavours; Gigabyte GeForce AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GGigabyte GeForce AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G.

The regular version has a boost core clock of 1708 MHz where as the Xtreme version has 1746 MHz.

So my question is, what's the point in spending the extra money on the Xtreme version?

It seems like all you have to do is tweak the settings and push it to 1746 MHz or beyond if you wanted.

2017032419492279_big.png

spending money on the xtreme edition is because you get to say you have a better one and out of the box it'll clocker higher

its like buying a 1700 over a 1800x, the difference is that it'll perform better at stock

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

yyes you should be. Just turn up the power limit and you will see higher clocks out of the box if you ramp up the fans a bit. The Xtreme just has a slightly better cooler if am not mistaken. Just do a bit of overclocking. I just ordered the exact same card today and i can ell you my results if you want when i have it next week hopefully

Just now, Tiwaz said:

yyes you should be. Just turn up the power limit and you will see higher clocks out of the box if you ramp up the fans a bit. The Xtreme just has a slightly better cooler if am not mistaken. Just do a bit of overclocking. I just ordered the exact same card today and i can ell you my results if you want when i have it next week hopefully

Yes the extreme has a better cooler but not much better

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

I plan to water cool the graphics card in the long run. Would I really be spending just an extra £50 on a better cooler I'm eventually going to replace anyway?

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Yes the extreme has a better cooler but not much better

If I were to watercool the card anyway, would 'Xtreme Edition' simply be a waste of money?

9 minutes ago, Con said:

I plan to water cool the graphics card in the long run. Would I really be spending just an extra £50 on a better cooler I'm eventually going to replace anyway?

If I were to watercool the card anyway, would 'Xtreme Edition' simply be a waste of money?

Yes it would be a waste of money

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Even if you weren't planning on overclocking, a 2% boost in clockspeed for a 5% boost in cost on an otherwise basically identical board seems like a waste of money unless you really need those extra 200 gflops.

21 minutes ago, Con said:

if  you want to watercool it maybe you want to get the stock card or a variant with a not too much larger pcb. Also do you wanna use universal waterblocks that sit on the GPU die itself only or complete ones? for complete full cover ones you need the FE design card since that one has the best compatibility with those