Corsair HX850 Odd sound?

elKz

I've had this HX850 for roughly 4 years now without a problem, however just recently I've started to have the following sound from it: 

I'm aware the part is old but does this sound like an issue or just a wobble from a loose bearing? Either way, I'll be looking into the warranty just to be on the safe side but wondered what others thought.

@elKz im still using my original HX850 but i dont have that issue

it sounds like the fan bearing is failing - which seems reasonable considering our PSU fan is always on

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

@elKz im still using my original HX850 but i dont have that issues

it sounds like the fan bearing is failing - which seems reasonable considering our PSU fan is always on

I'm not sure how long this has been an issue for me but I've started having 99 error codes on my mobo which says "Problems connecting with PCI-E devices" but everything has been fine. I'm wondering If It might be causing an issue there too. Warranty is 7 years so, I should be able to RMA it.

before you completely scrap your PSU consider removing and replacing the fan - its a bit of work because it uses a propreitary 2pin fan header instead of the usualy 3/4pin for case fans

and/or you replace the fan with a case fan and route the 3/4pin fan header outside the PSU case and onto your mobo

Just now, elKz said:

I'm not sure how long this has been an issue for me but I've started having 99 error codes on my mobo which says "Problems connecting with PCI-E devices" but everything has been fine. I'm wondering If It might be causing an issue there too. Warranty is 7 years so, I should be able to RMA it.

i doubt a failing fan would cause errors like that

that sounds more like a mobo/gpu problem

unless you PSU fan stop spinning completely - to the point where your PSU might overheat? causing some sort of issue with the power delivery to your mobo or gpu

12 minutes ago, mok said:

before you completely scrap your PSU consider removing and replacing the fan - its a bit of work because it uses a propreitary 2pin fan header instead of the usualy 3/4pin for case fans

and/or you replace the fan with a case fan and route the 3/4pin fan header outside the PSU case and onto your mobo

I'm probably just going to RMA it straight away, If I open it up and replace it that will void the warranty. I'd rather just get it sorted and risk voiding it.