System boot not working

Aaron7323
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
41 minutes ago, Aaron7323 said:

Process to do this? 

Hi forum. So I bought a new hard drive. Upgraded from some old WD 500gb to a seagate barracuda 4tb. I have an SSD as boot device. So I unplug WD drive and insert shiny new seagate. Doesn't work, won't boot, asks to select boot device. Went into bios and SSD is still selected as boot drive. So I'm not sure why it won't work? Plug in old drive and it boots right into Windows again, any ideas what's wrong? 

Just now, Aaron7323 said:

Hi forum. So I bought a new hard drive. Upgraded from some old WD 500gb to a seagate barracuda 4tb. I have an SSD as boot device. So I unplug WD drive and insert shiny new seagate. Doesn't work, won't boot, asks to select boot device. Went into bios and SSD is still selected as boot drive. So I'm not sure why it won't work? Plug in old drive and it boots right into Windows again, any ideas what's wrong? 

is windows installed on the ssd?

Did you do a clean install when you put windows on the SSD? If not, there could still be boot files or something on the old drive. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Windows is installed on SSD. No boot files on old HD. Both drives connected to same power cable (split with 3 connectors) could the HDD maybe be drawing too much power ? Will try separate cables when home.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Did you do a clean install when you put windows on the SSD? If not, there could still be boot files or something on the old drive. 

2 hours ago, agobran said:

Windows is installed on SSD. No boot files on old HD. Both drives connected to same power cable (split with 3 connectors) could the HDD maybe be drawing too much power ? Will try separate cables when home

3 minutes ago, Aaron7323 said:

Windows is installed on SSD. No boot files on old HD. Both drives connected to same power cable (split with 3 connectors) could the HDD maybe be drawing too much power ? Will try separate cables when home

Do you have any programs installed to the second drive? That could be the issue as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Do you have any programs installed to the second drive? That could be the issue as well. 

Was used as storage drive , only "program" on there was a couple of files for steam storage

Is "Windows Boot Manager" boot option #1 in the BIOS? 

Also, did you remove your HDD when you installed Windows on the SSD?

51 minutes ago, Celios said:

Nope, boot option 1 is the SSD which usually works.

19 hours ago, agobran said:

16 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

1 hour ago, Celios said:

So little bit of an update with more info so hopefully you can help. Tried plugging in just SSD and new HDD but with seperate power cables. Still no luck. Plugging in old HDD and SSD pc boots again but it was incredibly slow to boot and operate, not sure if this happened by luck or what. Tried plugging in all 3 drives and it boots up! And fast again! However I cannot access new drive in file explorer. Not visible there but it is visible in the device manager. Checked drivers are up to date and they are and checked that properties were same as other drive and they were but still can't access in file explorer. In bios still same order and drives installed with same settings. Not sure where to go from here. I do have a ISO file installed as E drive (I think its E as my E drive cant remember) could that maybe be causing issues? Aside to that I'm not sure what problem could be, any help or troubleshooting would be appreciated. Sorry quick edit: Forgot to mention something I noticed. The new HDD is the only one that has the option to "disable" at the top of device manager (Icon is a little down arrow). Thought this might give a clue as to what the problem is.

2 minutes ago, Aaron7323 said:

So little bit of an update with more info so hopefully you can help. Tried plugging in just SSD and new HDD but with seperate power cables. Still no luck. Plugging in old HDD and SSD pc boots again but it was incredibly slow to boot and operate, not sure if this happened by luck or what. Tried plugging in all 3 drives and it boots up! And fast again! However I cannot access new drive in file explorer. Not visible there but it is visible in the device manager. Checked drivers are up to date and they are and checked that properties were same as other drive and they were but still can't access in file explorer. In bios still same order and drives installed with same settings. Not sure where to go from here. I do have a ISO file installed as E drive (I think its E as my E drive cant remember) could that maybe be causing issues? Aside to that I'm not sure what problem could be, any help or troubleshooting would be appreciated.

If i could see the drive in file explorer I'll make a duplicate of it and hopefully that will solve problems. Or if someone knows how to make a duplicate without needing it to be visible in file explorer can try that too.

2 minutes ago, Aaron7323 said:

If i could see the drive in file explorer I'll make a duplicate of it and hopefully that will solve problems. Or if someone knows how to make a duplicate without needing it to be visible in file explorer can try that too.

You need to go into drive management and allocate it. 

12 minutes ago, Celios said:

You need to go into drive management and allocate it. 

Process to do this? 

41 minutes ago, Aaron7323 said:

Process to do this?