Buying first camera - UK

Hello

I have been planning to buy a camera lately; mostly just to play around with/practice, shoot still for social media or maybe make short videos. I don't really need anything professional but I would like something with good quality. My budget is around £400-£1000. I saw that www.jessops.com has a lot of sales/cashbacks on cameras right now so if someone can recommend me a camera that's going for a good price right now that would be great.

1 hour ago, AlmostNotable said:

shoot still for social media or maybe make short videos

A good phone camera...

1 hour ago, AlmostNotable said:

but I would like something with good quality. My budget is around £400-£1000. I saw that www.jessops.com has a lot of sales/cashbacks on cameras right now so if someone can recommend me a camera that's going for a good price right now that would be great.

But if you really want a good camera, you have several options ranging from advanced P&S/Compacts like a Sony R100 Mark (something) up to entry level DSLRs from Nikon or Canon or decent mirrorless systems from Sony, Fuji, Panasonic G series, etc.

Go to the store, ask around, handle the display models, think about what you like or dislike about different systems.  If you don't trust the words of any of their sales persons, mark down the make and models of the cameras you were interested in and come back to ask us or look online for what people have to say.  A good place to discuss cameras would be photography/camera review sites (such as DPReview or Photo.net, to name a few).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins