[HELP] A well thought out build with room for expansion and possibly Hackintosh

So this started when i went and bought a 4k monitor. I bought it with no regards to my Macbook Pro 13" 2015 being able to utilize it. Maybe that was stupid, but here i am. 

I have always loved my Macbooks and never really missed additional power. But as the time has passed, i don't really se myself buying another mac in the future. But i would on the other hand like to try dual booting Mac with Windows just for the sake of trying - but again thats not really the point of this build. The point is on the other hand to have little to no compromises software wise. Not 4k in ultra/mega/monster settings in AAA-titles, but global playability in 1080p with some titles in 4k. 

Case: Corsair Carbide air 240

Motherboard: ASUS Z170M-PLUS (mATX)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K

Graphics (option 1): GeForce 1070 mini itx

Graphics (option 2): GeForce 1060 6gb

RAM: Anything DDR4 16gb *edited from DDR3

Storage: mix of Samsungs 850 EVO and a 1tb HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Have i missed anything obvious? Will one of the slim Noctua coolers be able to keep the thing reasonably tempered? Bad experiences regarding the case?

Edited by lrosengaard

Just note finding a motherboard that supports DDR3 with that CPU may be a bit difficult as most 1151 motherboards only support DDR4.

Error 404 humor not found.

1 minute ago, SukaroBlue said:

Just note finding a motherboard that supports DDR3 with that CPU may be a bit difficult as most 1151 motherboards only support DDR4.

and i just saw that you posted what motherboard you're using and you definitely have do get DDR4 ram if you're getting that board.

Just now, SukaroBlue said:

Thanks! Guess i will be going for DDR4 then, since i like the versatility of the motherboard.

Also on the hackintosh side be sure to go online and see if your components will work with an hackintosh install.

Just now, SukaroBlue said:

Also on the hackintosh side be sure to go online and see if your components will work with an hackintosh install.

Well as far as i know it "should" work. Apart from the fact that pascal cards are not supported in mac officially yet. But to be honest i wont be heartbroken if it doesn't work. It's more like a nice-to-have feature than need-to-have.

If you really consider running your machine as an hackintosh I'd strongly recommend to go with a Gigabyte mainboard. Somehow those get much more love and support in the communitiy, and most of the drivers are readily available. Also you might run into trouble setting up a 10xx-series nvidia gpu to run under macOS. The last time I built a hackintosh I used a 4770k on a z87 board with a gtx 750 ti, and it worked fine, but I've heard bad things about pascal-based gpus and z170/z270 under macOS...

1 minute ago, black0utm1rage said:

If you really consider running your machine as an hackintosh I'd strongly recommend to go with a Gigabyte mainboard. Somehow those get much more love and support in the communitiy, and most of the drivers are readily available. Also you might run into trouble setting up a 10xx-series nvidia gpu to run under macOS. The last time I built a hackintosh I used a 4770k on a z87 board with a gtx 750 ti, and it worked fine, but I've heard bad things about pascal-based gpus and z170/z270 under macOS...

z170 works fine, z270 don't, Gigabyte choose good audio solutions and have a good UEFI for the purpose. Hardware is more generic than other mobos too.

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

z170 works fine, z270 don't, Gigabyte choose good audio solutions and have a good UEFI for the purpose. Hardware is more generic than other mobos too.

So lets say that i choose to swap out the mob for an equivalent Gigabyte, which would you recommend? 

4 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Since this build's primary task is running Windows i would rather use a 1070. Besides, cant i just use the integrated gpu on the cpu just for basic uses in hackintosh?

8 minutes ago, lrosengaard said:

So lets say that i choose to swap out the mob for an equivalent Gigabyte, which would you recommend? 

Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H

This one should come pretty close in functionality.

7 minutes ago, lrosengaard said:

Since this build's primary task is running Windows i would rather use a 1070. Besides, cant i just use the integrated gpu on the cpu just for basic uses in hackintosh?

Absolutely true, didn't think of that.