Would a GTX 1050 Ti be overkill due to bottlenecks?

UpstateNewYorker

I'm going to be totally honest: As much as I have tried to do my research, as much as I have watched LTT/Techquickie videos on graphics cards and bottlenecks and the like, I have little understanding of these things. However, I was looking at buying a GTX 1050 Ti

I was given a pre-built Dell XPS 8700 about a year and a half ago. It currently has the following:

CPU: i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz

Graphics card: Nvidia GT 720

8 GB of RAM (brand/clock speed/etc unknown at this time)

I don't know what kind of motherboard is in it, and I know I need to find out to make sure whatever I may buy will be compatible. I also do not know what the PSU is rated for.

Would a 1050 Ti be a good purchase, or are there other upgrades I should consider beforehand and/or along with a graphics card upgrade?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and whatever I can learn about PC upgrades I don't already know would also please me. Thank you!

Not at all. That's a modern i5, and it can totally handle an RX 480/580, or even a 1070 with only a mild bottleneck in some CPU intensive games.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, UpstateNewYorker said:

or are there other upgrades I should consider beforehand and/or along with a graphics card upgrade?

SSD if you don't already have one

Better PSU if you want something more than a 1050Ti.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

SSD if you don't already have one

Better PSU if you want something more than a 1050Ti.

I'm not looking for anything more than a 1050Ti at the moment. I've been thinking about an SSD, quite hard actually. I still need to put my research into that though.