will adding voltage in evga percision hurt my card

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

No, you would have to physically modify the card or modify BIOS to achieve any voltage to cause you any harm. NVIDIA uses a lot of safety restrictions which you would have to circumvent.

will turning up the voltage on percision shorten the life out of my 1080ti?

No, you would have to physically modify the card or modify BIOS to achieve any voltage to cause you any harm. NVIDIA uses a lot of safety restrictions which you would have to circumvent.

Just now, WereCat said:

No, you would have to physically modify the card or modify BIOS to achieve any voltage to cause you any harm. NVIDIA uses a lot of restrictions which you would have to circumvent.

i have heard about nvida locking voltage but i came here just to make sure 

It will yes. Killer of electronics are heat and voltage.

however the additional voltage will reduce the lifetime of the GPU itself (the little chip on your graphicscard) which isn't the failing part usually. It's way more likely that some solder point will fail. 

Your card will probably be obsolet before the GPU dies.

Just now, Vacras said:

however the additional voltage will reduce the lifetime of the GPU itself (the little chip on your graphicscard) which isn't the failing part usually. It's way more likely that some solder point will fail. 

just asking what card do you have because pascall have locked stuff from going to high 

3 minutes ago, Vacras said:

You know NVidia puts a voltage restriction for a reason right?

When you overclock with MSI Afterburner, there is a maximum voltage, NVidia set that so it wouldn't damage the card.

You seem to be a bit over dramatic. Yes, it will degrade over time if you constantly overclock, but not by much.

If you find a stable overclock setting for your graphics card, it'll be just fine and it will last years.

The newest Pascal cards are really good with overclocking and are built to do so, so do be afraid to get the most performance out of your card that you paid over $700.

But at the same time, be careful! It's expensive!

4 minutes ago, smackarow25 said:

just asking what card do you have because pascall have locked stuff from going to high 

I have MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G which is locked as well. (+86mv max I believe). 

But any additional voltage theoretically reduces lifespan of the electronic device it is running through. This is negligible though like I already stated.

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

You know NVidia puts a voltage restriction for a reason right?

When you overclock with MSI Afterburner, there is a maximum voltage, NVidia set that so it wouldn't damage the card.

You seem to be a bit over dramatic. Yes, it will degrade over time if you constantly overclock, but not by much.

If you find a stable overclock setting for your graphics card, it'll be just fine and it will last years.

The newest Pascal cards are really good with overclocking and are built to do so, so do be afraid to get the most performance out of your card that you paid over $700.

But at the same time, be careful! It's expensive!

See my post above pretty much.

thanks for the reply i new this stuff but just wanted to double check