R9 270

mattblahmatt

I've be looking at this card, with its $200 price tag its very tempting, but would it be worth it for my current system?

AMD Phenom 965 Black

8 gig of ram

HD 7770

I've be looking at this card, with its $200 price tag its very tempting, but would it be worth it for my current system?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you don't have a component list of your PC, that would be helpful

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you don't have a component list of your PC, that would be helpful

ummmm?

No, keep your 7770 and get something better later on.

Quote me to get a reply!

Not worth $200. The 7850 is ~$130 and not that much weaker. The 7870 is just as powerful and is $180. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 7870 ghz is the same card and there's one on sale right now for $130. The r9 series other than the 290's are pointless right now since they're out priced by the 7000 series.  It would be a decent upgrade but you can find 7950s on sale for that price and 7970s are getting close.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

The 7870 ghz is the same card and there's one on sale right now for $130. The r9 series other than the 290's are pointless right now since they're out priced by the 7000 series.  It would be a decent upgrade but you can find 7950s on sale for that price and 7970s are getting close.

Thanks a lot!

What about supporting Mantel though, should that be something I'm worried about?

The r9-270 nonx in theory replaces the 7850. However it's the exact same card as the 270x which is a rebadged 7870ghz. 2 things to note, the 270 has the same amount of stream processors and same core as the 270x just slightly slower. And both the 270 and 270x are a tier above the 7870ghz due to faster memory.

What about supporting Mantel though, should that be something I'm worried about?

7000 series will be supported by mantle.  They are the same gpus as the 270s and 280s.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo