Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mobile App development without a MAC

Go to solution Solved by razaro,

Hi I just searched for react native course yesterday, there is some sale on udemy, but also looked around reddit to see that tools people are using.

Few mention https://expo.io/ as nice tool. I did not yet check myself but maybe that could help you. 

If I did not missed question completely.

Hello Everyone!

I'm developing a mobile app for android and ios for a company I'm in. This is sort of a one time thing, and I don't seem to be able to get around without using a mac. Since it is a one time thing, we wouldn't like to buy a mac only for this, so I need to figure something out. I'm using React-Native, which is a javascript based thing, that works on android and ios. Theoreticly I don't need to make the same app twice, but in reality, there is a few things that needs to be customized for the two platform. That is where the problem starts. I don't have any way to try my app out on ios, nor to deploy it, and I wouldn't want to make an app without testing it first. I wouldn't mind it, if everything would be identicle for ios and android, but it just isn't Not possible with a virtual box, my hardware is not hackintosh compatible, and I don't have access to a mac. Ideas? 

On a different note: if you have any advise regarding app making, go ahead, I would like to talk about it with someone who actualy knows what he/she is doing, because I certainly don't.

Thanks for everyone in advince!

Reavt-Native https://facebook.github.io/react-native/docs/getting-started.html

There is no official way to make, launch, or share an IOS app without a few things:

1) An apple developer account

2) A real mac

Sorry...

It's been a while since I've done any iOS development (though mine was with Visual Studio, C#, and Xamarin) but unless things have changed (I doubt it), or are different for your platform (I doubt it), you need a mac to build/deploy the app. You don't necessarily have to write your code on the mac but you do need to have one.

The mac mini is what most people suggest, given it's the cheapest option (I think).

I'm not sure if there are any issues (technical, legal, etc) with using a Virtual Machine, but that could be another option to look into.

Title should be iOS app

Mobile app doesn't only belong to apple.

Hi I just searched for react native course yesterday, there is some sale on udemy, but also looked around reddit to see that tools people are using.

Few mention https://expo.io/ as nice tool. I did not yet check myself but maybe that could help you. 

34 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Title should be iOS app

Mobile app doesn't only belong to apple.

Android and Ios didn't say only ios.

25 minutes ago, razaro said:

Thank for your reply! I will check this one out, looks very promising.

57 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

It's been a while since I've done any iOS development (though mine was with Visual Studio, C#, and Xamarin) but unless things have changed (I doubt it), or are different for your platform (I doubt it), you need a mac to build/deploy the app. You don't necessarily have to write your code on the mac but you do need to have one.

The mac mini is what most people suggest, given it's the cheapest option (I think).

I'm not sure if there are any issues (technical, legal, etc) with using a Virtual Machine, but that could be another option to look into.

This Expo thing is all I was looking for it seems. You should check it out too.

3 hours ago, Balazs.zakany said:

This Expo thing is all I was looking for it seems. You should check it out too.

Interesting, I haven't heard of that before. Glad someone was able to help you.

I also just remembered that services like MacInCloud can also be useful. Figure I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else.

If you happen to know C# - i would use Xamarin, its my preferred write once solution. Lets you write an app and release it to every platform.

leider has already given you the correct answer. You can use Xamarin or whatever you want, but without a Mac and a developer account to test and publish it, it isn't happening.

My comps:

Main: rMacBook Pro mid 2014 15"

Gaming: i7-7700, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB 3000Mhz DDR4, 512GB SATA SSD