How to get audio from PS3 connected to PC monitor?

sorasmemories

So long story short... I bought a small TV because I wanted to use it as a monitor that can be shared between my PC and PS3; however, it was hurting my eyes. So, I'm returning it and switched back to my monitor. My monitor only has a DVI port, not an HDMI. There is an audio jack on the monitor, but I can't get sound through it. As such, that means, if I connected it to the PS3 using an HDMI to DVI, it won't get audio. I have speakers running from the PC...

Is there a trick to getting audio from the PS3? Or do I have to buy a new monitor for this to work?

You need to take your composite cords, go to a dollar store or a electonics store and look for a RCA to Auxilary adapter. Then that will work.

The geek himself.

You can buy HDMI audio splitters that splits the audio onto an auxillary cable, or RCA cables. They're anywhere from $10-$50. You'd also need a passive HDMI to DVI cable. You'd need an active adapter to convert RCA to a digital signal anyways, and it'll be about the same price but a lower quality picture, and more delay. ALTERNATIVELY, you can extract audio from a PS3 using the USB ports. If I recall though, it's limited to two channels.

You'd just use something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatibility/dp/B00NMXY2MO

Then plug your speakers into the headphone jack, and configure it in the settings menu in the ps3.

Thank you for the suggestion. My PS3 is one of the oldest models. It's the backwards compatible version. Do you think it won't be able to run audio through the USB due to its age?

Here are the back ports...

aaa.png

@sorasmemories DVI doesn't carry sound. If the speakers/stereo you want to run the audio into, supports optical/toslink, you could go that route (but be careful with optical cables, they're not very durable (very delicate) and can break easily if they're folded, twisted or stepped on). 

You might be able to find a third party breakout cable but the problem there is that cheap cables can degrade the video signal.

Also, there's this, from another forum, from a linked source that's since been deleted: "You can use hdmi for video and red and white composite cables that came with the PS3 for audio. go to sound settings and change sound output from hdmi to composite. I had the same problem because most HDTVs focus on picture not sound."

I was doing something similar with my 360: running an HDMI cable to my monitor and using the composite audio cabling for sound (to avoid having to use the monitor headphone jack as a pass-through).

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I had a similar issue when my brother was using my computer monitor for his PS3 after his TV died.  Ultimately, I used the AV cables provided with the system, a special adapter I picked up at Radio Shack to connect AV cables together, and an audio adapter to convert the sound for a headphone jack output.  Change the audio settings on the PS3 to route the sound through AV.  It worked great, and I played the output through the line-in audio jack on my desktop.

What was even better was setting up my iPod touch as an iTunes remote and playing unfitting music while he played Modern Warfare 2.

I did this same thing a while back. I used this to connect the sound into my stereo. Although you will need to go into your PS3 settings and change the audio to RCA but keep the video through HDMI so it will go through the DVI.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Right-Audio-Female-Adapter/dp/B003LVDWOQ/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1496156763&sr=8-17&keywords=audio+cable+rca+to+3.5mm

I want to apologize if I sound silly, but I'm a little confused on how to utilize the RCA cables? My speaker has a single green audio plug. The back of my monitor does, as well; though, I can't audio to run through it... I'm using a converter for the PS3's HDMI to run into the back of my monitor.

EDIT: My speakers are currently plugged into my PC. Is there a way to route the PS3 sound into my PC to then run out the speakers?

29 minutes ago, sorasmemories said:

I want to apologize if I sound silly, but I'm a little confused on how to utilize the RCA cables? My speaker has a single green audio plug. The back of my monitor does, as well; though, I can't audio to run through it... I'm using a converter for the PS3's HDMI to run into the back of my monitor.

EDIT: My speakers are currently plugged into my PC. Is there a way to route the PS3 sound into my PC to then run out the speakers?

You need an RCA female to 1/8" inch/3.5mm stereo male converter. Basically one of these: https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Stereo-Female-Adapter-Y-Cable/dp/B0018MI5F6

Then plug it into the Line In port of your PC (usually light blue), then in your audio properties, set it to listen to the line-in port.