SSD Installation Question?

I'm getting a crucial ssd soon, and have a question. I installed Windows on my 500gb drive in the beginning, but now wish to run the OS on the SSD. I have most things thought out on how to do that, but when I install Windows with a boot flashdrive, (my computer doesn't have a CD drive) will I have to delete Windows on my old 500gb drive? I would have windows running on both drives, and I think I would just want it on one. I want the 500gb drive for mass storage, and then runn the OS (and some other programs) on the SSD. And if I must delete the copy of Windows on the 500gb drive, how will I do so? Thanks. 

This guide tells you everything:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

as for moving your data im not sure if its possible to perhaps backup your user data onto somthing else, format the 500 and start the installation

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Can you just disconnect the drive that has your current version of windows on it, then install via the boot?  That is what I did, but I used a CD, I did not want to risk messing up my old version, so i just flat out unplugged it, and later plugged it back in with not issues.  Hell I even had to swap and boot back in to it to get access to some stuff and had no issue booting into each just by swapping the boot order. After you have the SSD set up you can just used the other one as you see fit really. 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

I don't think you would be able to transfer your windows installation to your SSD. You would have to install your OS and programs all over again on the SSD. You could install Windows on your SSD and use EasyBCD in Windows to delete your old Windows boot entry off of the HDD to free up space or unplug it and install it on the SSD. And you could delete the windows files off of the old HDD to save space.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer