Weird noise

elis
Go to solution Solved by SageOfSpice,

It's just reverberation from the HDD. The HDD spins at varying speeds, so they can have resonant frequencies. If you don't dampen them properly, it'll cause buzzing in the case. By touching the case, you're dampening it with your squishy bits.

If you don't feel like buying little dampers, electrical tape works pretty well.

Sometimes my PC does a noise like analogue devices do when there is interference. Sometimes it stops when I touch it, change it's balance slightly or change it's direction. Any ideas ?

The PSU is a crappy proprietary one by HP.

There are two HDDs in right now, quite old.

There is a CD/DVD drive too, which hasn't been working these last days.

That's the HDD spinning sound

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

That's the HDD spinning sound

Well ... :

1 - How come the noise stops (almost) every time I touch the case ?

2 - If I bought a new HDD, have the new ones had any improvement when it comes to noise, or should I get an SSD instead ?

1 minute ago, elis said:

Well ... :

1 - How come the noise stops (almost) every time I touch the case ?

2 - If I bought a new HDD, have the new ones had any improvement when it comes to noise, or should I get an SSD instead ?

1st. that's weird, the PSU fans maybe that makes loud sound?

2nd. It depends on how much are you using HDD for writing, Reading (the HDD works). SSD doesn't have that noisy disk but do you have the money for at least SK Hynix SL308?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

12 minutes ago, elis said:

The PSU is a crappy proprietary one by HP.

a crappy proprietary psu by hp, or an actually surprisingly decent one you just call crappy because its proprietary?

It's just reverberation from the HDD. The HDD spins at varying speeds, so they can have resonant frequencies. If you don't dampen them properly, it'll cause buzzing in the case. By touching the case, you're dampening it with your squishy bits.

If you don't feel like buying little dampers, electrical tape works pretty well.

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

1st. that's weird, the PSU fans maybe that makes loud sound?

2nd. It depends on how much are you using HDD for writing, Reading (the HDD works). SSD doesn't have that noisy disk but do you have the money for at least SK Hynix SL308?

1 - I suspect that too.

2 - I meant in general, do newer HDDs have any improvements compared to the older ones when it comes to noise ? And when it comes to the money, I don't know. Am looking at a list on PCPP. I will ask again for an opinion on which one to get, should I decide to get one.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

a crappy proprietary psu by hp, or an actually surprisingly decent one you just call crappy because its proprietary?

Well, it could be that second point :P or the fact that it's old now. Well, I may need to clean its dust. The thing though is that I did add some parts that the original office PC didn't have and those could affect the PSU performance. By the way, is there any software to find out what the power output is for the PSU ?

Just now, elis said:

Well, it could be that second point :P or the fact that it's old now. Well, I may need to clean its dust. The thing though is that I did add some parts that the original office PC didn't have and those could affect the PSU performance. By the way, is there any software to find out what the power output is for the PSU ?

the power output is supposedly labeled on the PSU

that said, if its old, chances are one of the fans has gone bad.

@elis you can pm me if you want, let me take a look at PCPP too

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

That should be it. I put a temporary 40 GB HDD just to test different flavors of Linux and it was thinner than normally, what made it not fit properly. And yes, the term I was thinking about was "buzzing". ;) 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the power output is supposedly labeled on the PSU

that said, if its old, chances are one of the fans has gone bad.

I have another of the PSUs and just checked. It's 365 W. Guess should be enough for what I have now. Btw, do you think it will be enough to add an RX 460 ?

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

@elis you can pm me if you want, let me take a look at PCPP too

Well, PCPP links are allowed, so here you go. That is basically the range of products that I can afford. I could also go for 128 GB, but not really into it. Well, the advice I need is regarding the different brands and longevity of each product. Performance is not much of an issue being that my PC is limited at SATA 2 speeds anyway.