ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC or Wait for Possible EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW Hybrid

KSP

Which GTX 1080 Ti?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which GTX 1080 Ti should I get?

• ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC Edition
    • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW Hybrid (not yet released)

Whats popping' guys (sorry, just watched some of the video of that guy saying "Wuss poppin' jimbo" 21,000 times, argh, I'm off topic already!), I have yet again another question about GPUs. A few months ago I posted a post asking if I should purchase 2 ASUS Strix GTX 1080s in SLI or EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2s. Even though the general consensus of the feedback I got for fairly mixed, I was leaning towards the ASUS Strix model. Right as I was going to pull the trigger on two of them, I decided to wait for the 1080 Tis to release (I'm glad I did :) ) However, I know do not know whether I should drop $800+ on the ASUS Strix version, or wait for the (hopefully) soon to be released EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW Hybrid. The reason why I am not going for the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 is because, and I know this is kind of a stupid excuse, I just really do not like the design (specifically the shroud) of the card. I know, dumb reason. Anyways, I have never really bough many ASUS cards in the past, and their pretty bad QC/CS is drawing me away from the card. However, I do not know if the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW Hybrid is worth the wait (I have never owned a hybrid GPU). Are Hybrid GPUs worth it? My case is the Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ATX TG, so it has pretty good airflow. Sorry if this post doesn't provide very much other detail, I am kind of in a rush right now :P. I will reply to any questions and comments as soon as I can. Thank you.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Get this one instead M8

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

If you are in a rush, you can buy the hybrid cooling kit from EVGA and stick it on the 1080 Ti PCB, as long as that's also from EVGA. Their warranty allows you to modify the card. It's a pretty safe option since EVGA warranty and customer support is known to be the best, and leagues ahead of those clowns at Asus.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Get this one instead M8

The card's performance does look very good, I am just not into the aesthetics and design of the card (as I said in my original post). Yeah I know, dumb reason...

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

4 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

If you are in a rush, you can buy the hybrid cooling kit from EVGA and stick it on the 1080 Ti PCB, as long as that's also from EVGA. Their warranty allows you to modify the card. It's a pretty safe option since EVGA warranty and customer support is known to be the best, and leagues ahead of those clowns at Asus.

I am not really in any immediate rush to buy the cards, I just would like to have my new build as soon as possible. Sorry if I did not word it correctly, but I was in a rush to finish typing the original post, and may have not provided enough detail.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Just now, KSP said:

The card's performance does look very good, I am just not into the aesthetics and design of the card (as I said in my original post). Yeah I know, dumb reason...

:/ kk.  I'd honestly get an aorus extreme or Zotac extreme

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

:/ kk.  I'd honestly get an aorus extreme or Zotac extreme

All I will say is that I have had quite bad experiences with both Zotac and Gigabyte in the past... but they may have changed since then.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

The only reason you'd want to wait for the hybrid is the extra cooling capacity and lower noise (lower fan speed). Whatever little overclocking benefit there may be gained through watercooling these big Pascal chips could just be passed of as variance in the the silicon lottery.

Get the Strix, Zotac, or FTW3 cards today. All excellent cards. Or get the FE and the Hybrid Kit from EVGA as suggested above. While the custom PCB of the Amp Extreme/FTW3/Strix cards are better than the FE, there are little real-world performance gains.

The more you wait, the more you'll keep waiting. Vega is hopefully just around the corner, and it may match the 1080 Ti or even surpass it if we're lucky.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Thank you for all of the responses. Going back to the STRIX, how is ASUS QC and CS these days? Is the whole "don't get asus they have bad quality and bad customer service" a little bit exaggerated?

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

FTW. You'll definitely benefit from much lower load temps. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III