i7 7700k Overclock

So I got this guy telling me that 5ghz is nothing special on the i7 7700k? But I'm pretty sure the guy who owns this 7700k hit the silicon lottery.

4 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

5Ghz on a 7700k isn't anything special. 

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

So I got this guy telling me that 5ghz is nothing special on the i7 7700k? But I'm pretty sure the guy who owns this 7700k hit the silicon lottery.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g

Silicon Lottery has 59% of their 7700ks getting 5Ghz or higher. So 5Ghz is actually slightly below average. 

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

It's not so much "sillicon lottery" as it is "people don't really stress their stuff, so they get higher values than they should".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

It isn't, it's around average for a 7700k. That's beastly for a 6700k but not 7700k. On 7700k 5.2 and above is beastly.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Userbenchmarks is only showing around 5Ghz as a good OC

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Group-/3647vs10

I don't see overclock numbers anywhere on that page. Do you mean where it says Turbo to 5Ghz? Turbo is not an overclock. 

13 hours ago, NannerBeans said:

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g

Silicon Lottery has 59% of their 7700ks getting 5Ghz or higher. So 5Ghz is actually slightly below average. 

This is probably going to be the most accurate source of info. They buy bulk, bin, and sell chips that guarantee high OC's so I trust their sample size and results are accurate.

So ya, 5ghz is slightly below average for a 7700K.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

3 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

This is probably going to be the most accurate source of info. They buy bulk, bin, and sell chips that guarantee high OC's so I trust their sample size and results are accurate.

So ya, 5ghz is slightly below average for a 7700K.

So asus is not a trusted group for overclocking CPUs?

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

So asus is not a trusted group for overclocking CPUs?

Did I say that asus is not trusted? I just trust SL's sample size and methodology more. Their entire business model is overclocking and if they weren't being truthful they wouldn't still be around. That's my reasoning at least.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

2 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Did I say that asus is not trusted? I just trust SL's sample size and methodology more. Their entire business model is overclocking and if they weren't being truthful they wouldn't still be around. That's my reasoning at least.

It just seems to me your saying that SLs data is more accurate than asus's data.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

It just seems to me your saying that SLs data is more accurate than asus's data.

And it seems to me you are saying ASUS's data is more accurate than SL's. Is there any reasoning behind that? Or, are you just assuming that because they are a big company they can't be wrong?

Not that I'm saying they are wrong, but I just trust SL's data more. 

5 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

And it seems to me you are saying ASUS's data is more accurate than SL's. Is there any reasoning behind that? Or, are you just assuming that because they are a big company they can't be wrong?

Not that I'm saying they are wrong, but I just trust SL's data more. 

Right so you trust SL's data and this argument is the i7 7700k going to or over 5Ghz or more is nothing special. So, since you trust SL's data I will use it. So breaking the data down, SL reports the top 78% were able to achieve at least 4.9GHz so only 22 out of 100 are not able to achieve 4.9Ghz or greater, so for ever 4 processors bought theres a good chance 1 will struggle or not be able to hit 4.9GHz or higher. Moving onto 5GHz the top 59% were able to hit 5GHz or better so 41 out of every 100 processors cannot hit 5Ghz or better. So we are very close to the 50/50 mark on whether a processor can hit or go over 5GHz. The top 28% are able to hit  5.1GHz or better, so 1 out of every 4 processors will be able to hit 5.1GHz or higher, and finally only the top 7% for 5.2GHz which is 93 out of 100 will not be able to hit this, so for about every 10 CPUs bought only about 1 will be able to achieve this.

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Right so you trust SL's data and this argument is the i7 7700k going to or over 5Ghz or more is nothing special. So, since you trust SL's data I will use it. So breaking the data down, SL reports the top 78% were able to achieve at least 4.9GHz so only 22 out of 100 are not able to achieve 4.9Ghz or greater, so for ever 4 processors bought theres a good chance 1 will struggle or not be able to hit 4.9GHz or higher. Moving onto 5GHz the top 59% were able to hit 5GHz or better so 41 out of every 100 processors cannot hit 5Ghz or better. So we are very close to the 50/50 mark on whether a processor can hit or go over 5GHz. The top 28% are able to hit  5.1GHz or better, so 1 out of every 4 processors will be able to hit 5.1GHz or higher, and finally only the top 7% for 5.2GHz which is 93 out of 100 will not be able to hit this, so for about every 10 CPUs bought only about 1 will be able to achieve this.

Yes, so by that data the majority of 7700k's will at least achieve 5ghz and thus a 5ghz 7700k is not special. Although if we are being really technical here it would depend on what constitutes being "special".