Best current chip option for Gaming and Editing

Ok, I know this has probably been discussed to death and if you're thinking right now "Holy sh*t. Not another "What CPU" post" .... then sorry :)

I'm sure I can't really make a bad decision with any of the choices, but here's where I am right now.

So, I'm looking to retire my old editing/gaming laptop (ASUS G750JZ) with a new desktop... cos the laptop is too frikkin heavy to take anywhere :D

The new machine will be used for both gaming, streaming and editing with CS6 Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Lightroom

I used to pretty much only use the laptop for editing, but I've recently come back to gaming and streaming and I'm spending a lot more time with that at the moment.

But I imagine I'll turn my head back to heavy editing again in the future, so I'm looking to build a new machine that can do both well

I know editing and gaming machines are pretty close in spec, but was looking for advise in which direction to go.

The system will be build around a 1080Ti and 32-64Gb memory and SSD storage (archive footage is moved externally once completed)

But it's the chip that I'm a bit hung up on.

From the LTT 2K buyers guide the recommendation was for an i7 6800K for the extra cores, but the i7 7700K is a bit cheaper and looks to have better gaming performance (possibly due to the faster single thread performance?).

However the 6 cores "should" be better for rendering footage and is benchmarked higher in comparison tests that way.

Then there's Ryzen. Thinking about the 1700x which is closer on price than the 1800x

It looks to have all the cores and oomph needed for even better performance in rendering out video footage, but my concern is more around it being new tech.

The perception I have is that there have been some teething problems with it, less 3rd party compatibility and some of the performance can be dulled unless you have the right spec memory.

It just feels like AMD have rushed the release a bit early following the stock drop and it needs to mature a bit.

So ... i7 6800, 7700 or Ryzen 1700x (or 1800x) ?

I'll happily trade stability and compatibility over bleeding edge tech all day every day.

Footnote: I'll be streaming sometimes too, but I don't need CPU horsepower for that. I use NGinx to an external PC to re-encode and stream from there.

I sometimes NVENC from the laptop when I can't be bothered with the external PC ... and I'm alright with that :)

----------------------------
        Weem

R5 1600 best value hands down :D
If you want the 2 extra cores, go with R7 1700 and overclock :D

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

Get the Ryzen 5 1600 or the Ryzen 7 1700 :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, WeeemRCB said:

Go for Ryzen. When it comes to gaming it is equal to i5-i7 or maybe a little bit less good and when it comes to editing it is way better.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Depends on your editing workflow /software.

Gaming isn't going to care between an R7 1700, i7 5960X, or i7 7700K.

However, some heavier productivity softwares benefit from quad channel memory, which means going X99 or jumping on X299 when it comes out. Check to see if the software you [intend to] run benefits significantly. Also check if there's a significant benefit to running it on hexacores or octocores that can clock higher than 4GHz (if you intend on overclocking).

If the answer is "yes" to both of those, keep X99 on your mind and think about if you're willing to spend that much for any additional performance. If no, then Ryzen 1700 if you want to OC, 1800X if you don't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Thanks for the replies.

They Ryzen looks like best performer, but I've seen lots of reviews of people having problems with RAM speeds and buggy motherboard BIOS'

I'm just thinking that it may still be too new to be plug and play without taking too much time to fiddle into a reliable system.

I guess my options are to hold off and see if the issues die down or take a punt on a reliable, albeit slightly slower Intel.

If it was intel, I'm guessing the 6800k is the better option?

It has more cores and 15Mb cache.... but then the 7700K is a newer socket which should yield it's own benefits + lower power consumption and a higher single core speed.

Ghaad dammit - why couldn't they share the same motherboard so I could put them through their paces back-to-back :D

----------------------------
        Weem