What settings should i make for an ssd and hdd storage system?

Go to solution Solved by Rohime,
3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

I have A LOT OF QUESTIONS. Sorry,

If I decide on going with an hdd and ssd combo for my new PC

1) What settings will I have to change.

2) If I install windows on the SSD, will it make that the boot drive.

3) Does having programs on the same drive that the OS is on cause booting the OS to be slow.

4) Can I install all programs onto the HDD, even if they dont have an option on where to install.

5) Can I move the directories programs files and Program file X84 to the HDD.

6) Anything else I should know?

1 - for standard SATA SSD and SATA HDD there shouldnt be any.     If NVMe SSD there might be.

2 - Yes.   Recommendation:  unplug the HDD until after base windows fully installed.

3 - No.

4 - If they dont provide option, you need to be careful about how you get them on to HDD, but usually, yes.

5 - No, you cannot "just move" them.   

6 - There is no real reason to move Program Files or the x64 version.   Let all the microsoft stuff stay there.    Just choose install location for programs (games etc) that you add.

3) Does having programs on the same drive that the OS is on cause booting the OS to be slow.

4) Can I install all programs onto the HDD, even if they dont have an option on where to install.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

1 - for standard SATA SSD and SATA HDD there shouldnt be any.     If NVMe SSD there might be.

2 - Yes.   Recommendation:  unplug the HDD until after base windows fully installed.

3 - No.

4 - If they dont provide option, you need to be careful about how you get them on to HDD, but usually, yes.

6 - There is no real reason to move Program Files or the x64 version.   Let all the microsoft stuff stay there.    Just choose install location for programs (games etc) that you add.

1 minute ago, Rohime said:

3 - No.

Thanks

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

4 minutes ago, Rohime said:

3 - No.

How much memory should I get for my SSD

My Rig

Peripherals

250 gbs is the bare minimum, below that the cost/gb is not worth it, but the best value for the money is imho the 500gbs ones

4 hours ago, Rohime said:

3 - No.

What about boot priority and stuff? Linus did a video when he was at ncix tech tips about how to. But its fairly old, are you sure I wont have to change any settings?

My Rig

Peripherals

5 hours ago, Vandorlot said:

What about boot priority and stuff? Linus did a video when he was at ncix tech tips about how to. But its fairly old, are you sure I wont have to change any settings?

Yes, you could/should set the boot priority to the  order you want.

But if you only install a bootable OS on a single device, you don't NEED to - the only bootable device will get found (its just slower).

There are lots of parameters you COULD change for various reasons, but your question was - which ones do you HAVE to change.