Cannot get into The Witcher Series

LastThoughts
Go to solution Solved by MVPernula,

Hey there!

I cannot say anything but "Yeah I agree."

The controls of the first game are quite bleh, stopping mid fight to chose what to do, same attack animation all the time and all that.

It's pretty bad tbh, but try to run through it for the story at least if you like it. The story is fantastic, unlike the gameplay in the first game.

I started out with playing the 3rd since the hype was so huge, LOVE it.

But I felt like I was missing out, which I was, when talking about the story.

Playing the first and second game made me realize that.

The second game resembles the third a bit more when it comes to playstyle and fighting, more action and freely fighting. Huge improvement from the first.

My suggestion about the first one if you don't like the gameplay, just put it on easy and play it for the story.

The second is better and third just takes it all. :)

Hey guys,

Nowadays, almost all RPGs and other games are being compared with The Witcher 3.  Everybody seems to agree that is one of best RPGs out there. Well, I never played the third one, but try to get into the series by playing the fist and the second. Both of them I stopped playing after a couple of hours... The first one I stopped right after you enter Vizima (I think halfway chapter 2, but no quote me on that). To get there, I had to force myself to play, because, IMO, the controls are clunky and the gameplay, boring. To be fair, The Witcher 1 was release on 2007 (?), so a lot of things wasn't as refine as possible. It's a shame, the story seems pretty good. The second one seems to fix a lot of issues that the first had. The graphics are very good (considering how old the game are), the combat is a lot better, and the story also seems excellent. But, after several attempts, I couldn't even get to battle the first monster, Kraken (?), before I stopped playing. I even don't know why. I just didn't want to play it anymore... Well, I remember that I still find the combat, although better than the first one, not as fun like other RPGs (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Divinity Original Sin, and others), also sometimes I find Normal a little too hard (and Easy too easy). Anyway, maybe someday I try again. 

So, the Witcher 3 is a lot better than the other two games? Should I persist on playing the Second one? Maybe, it's get a lot better later on...

Thanks in advance

Hey there!

The controls of the first game are quite bleh, stopping mid fight to chose what to do, same attack animation all the time and all that.

It's pretty bad tbh, but try to run through it for the story at least if you like it. The story is fantastic, unlike the gameplay in the first game.

The second game resembles the third a bit more when it comes to playstyle and fighting, more action and freely fighting. Huge improvement from the first.

My suggestion about the first one if you don't like the gameplay, just put it on easy and play it for the story.

It's a clunky piece of shit that starts you off in third game not knowing or caring for anything is going on. But hey it sure looks nice.

You know I think Assasins creed has broken many 3rd person games for me. Like i felt that same way about the Horizon Zero Dawn controlles and player movement. AC games (-the french one) just feel so much better. 

I'd rather play AC4BF again 11 out of 10 over The witcher 3. 

ps find one of the Gameplay movies to catch up on the first two games. 

2 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Hey there!

Sound like a good plan. I will give the first and the second one another shot.

2 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

I also had the same issue, but with no.3.

I decided to see what the hype was and I tried it...however, the lacklustre combat put me off the game :(

I think the problem of the combat that is so different compare with the others RPGs. For example, is more common to drink a potion after you was injured than before.

Man, If you just want to have fun, go straight for tw3.

There is no problem in that, I played tw3 and I plan to play tw2 sometime, but because I fell in love with the witcher world. 

Play tw3 and the expansions, you will love the game and there are tons of hours pf gameplay. After that, you can retry the other games.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Not knowing you personally, I'd even throw out there that darker stories and themes just might not be the sort of thing you find enjoyable or what you'd enjoy at the moment.  There is something to be said for vegging out in a bubbly happy-go-lucky feel good game now and again, of which TW isn't   Just the FirstThoughts I had after seeing your avatar anyways.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:35 AM, LastThoughts said:

So, the Witcher 3 is a lot better than the other two games? Should I persist on playing the Second one? Maybe, it's get a lot better later on...

Personally I've still not managed to play Witcher 2 beyond Flotsam because I find it such a chore to play, and I don't dare even try Witcher 1 at this point as I know my limits. Yet I've gotten 353 hours into The Witcher 3, even taught myself a bit about how to mod it, and I still don't consider myself done with it.

The Witcher games have vast stretches of time between them, and CDPR approached each one completely differently. It's not like a yearly Ubisoft franchise where game after game follows the same mechanics. The controls in TW3 still aren't a great strength, but they're a lot more like other modern 3D action games and from what I can tell, nothing like the older games.

I say, just read a story synopsis, buy it on Steam, and play through to at least until you arrive at White Orchard. You'll still be able to get a refund by that point, you'll have seen both the combat and conversation systems, and you'll have a pretty good idea if you're "feeling it" yet.