M.2 SSD

Aikairi

What does it do and is it worth getting if I already have a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD?

1 minute ago, Aikairi said:

What does it do

What does M.2 SSD do? Uhm it stores stuff in it. That's what it does

1 minute ago, Aikairi said:

and is it worth getting if I already have a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD?

It depends on so many factor.

What are you going to do with the new SSD

Do you have extra SATA port

Do you need extra storage

m.2 is just a different standard of SSD. there is sata m.2 and nvme. Sata are about as fast as your evo while nvme is a nice bit faster. Honestly you wont notice a difference, save your money. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

m.2 is good because it is small. there are two types, sata and NVMe (which works via PCIe 3x4) the second type is faster but also more expensive and it takes up 2 or usually 4 pcie lanes. for games you don't really need the extra spead right now, only things like loading a map will be faster. also, faster storage can improve the responsiveness of your system overall, but most of the time sata is good enough and you don't need NVMe. also, sata m.2 isn't any faster than regular sata, it depends completely on the SSD in particular.

So far so good on answers. Most people will not see the improvement in performance NVMe offers over SATA. When you are shopping for SSDs though, and you have the ability to use the M.2 slot on your MB, SHOP FOR THEM. because they do not require any external power or data from cables snaking through your case. They make an install super clean.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic