Help Me Upgrade!

Hi all,

I'm planning on upgrading an old pc I've had lying around for a while now. I'm planning to put a 1050 Ti in it, but there's one problem - the CPU is a core i3 540 @ 3.06Ghz (Most likely from the Stone Age, I know), and I'm wondering if this would hold back the GPU from performing at its best. Should I get a new CPU and motherboard all together?

Thanks in regards,

Matt.:D

You can get a used i7 and add a decent GPU in it
What's your current specs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, Mathyoo said:

Hi all,

I'm planning on upgrading an old pc I've had lying around for a while now. I'm planning to put a 1050 Ti in it, but there's one problem - the CPU is a core i3 540 @ 3.06Ghz (Most likely from the Stone Age, I know), and I'm wondering if this would hold back the GPU from performing at its best. Should I get a new CPU and motherboard all together?

Thanks in regards,

I dont think it will bottleneck and even if it does,get some cheap i7 860,870 in it.What resolution are you going to game on it?

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

I dont think it will bottleneck and even if it does,get some cheap i7 860,870 in it.What resolution are you going to game on it?

it will bottleneck, its a first gen i5. right now even a g4560 is bottlenecking a 1050ti in some case, upgrading to another 1st gen i7 isn't a great idea too

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-860-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4560/m841vs3892

I have an ancient Radeon HD 5450, 4GB of Ram (soon to be 8) and a 350w psu. I want to be able to play black ops 3 at 1080p and 60fps, along with similar settings for other games.

13 minutes ago, Mathyoo said:

I have an ancient Radeon HD 5450, 4GB of Ram (soon to be 8) and a 350w psu. I want to be able to play black ops 3 at 1080p and 60fps, along with similar settings for other games.

try finding an i7 8xx or Xeon equivalent to replace the i3. also, which PSU are you using?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, Mathyoo said:

evga 350 350w psu

exact model?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Mathyoo said:

yes

no, i want the EXACT model, not just the brand and wattage.

Wait.. my pc says its a 430w1

its all I can find about it

23 minutes ago, Mathyoo said:

Wait.. my pc says its a 430w1

it's good enough for a 1050ti, if you choose to upgrade to anything more power-hungry in the future get a better psu.

2 hours ago, Mathyoo said:

Hi all,

Thanks in regards,

Is your intention to upgrade what you have or to get the best on gaming ? Getting a new CPU and mobo means basically getting a new PC, being that you are also going to get a new GPU and most probably another PSU (since the one you have may not be appropriate).

If you just wanna upgrade the one you have, first of all you should check what version your PCIe is. I doubt it is 3.0, so the 1050 Ti is not a good idea (unless you wanna spend money for the sake of spending), because it will be bottlenecked by the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0. My suggestion is either get the best GPU for a 2.0 PCIe or get a new PC.

54 minutes ago, elis said:

I doubt it is 3.0, so the 1050 Ti is not a good idea (unless you wanna spend money for the sake of spending), because it will be bottlenecked by the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0. My suggestion is either get the best GPU for a 2.0 PCIe or get a new PC.

no. just no. 

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

no. just no. 

Explain

2 minutes ago, elis said:

Explain

the pci-e generation won't cause it to bottleneck the graphics card, especially as badly as you claim it will.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/2

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

the pci-e generation won't cause it to bottleneck the graphics card, especially as badly as you claim it will.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/2

Well, I may be (not totally) wrong, but the 1050 Ti is going to get bottlenecked by the CPU too. I just don't see the reason to spend a lot of money for a PCIe 3.0 card on a PCIe 2.0.

Just now, elis said:

Well, I may be (not totally) wrong, but the 1050 Ti is going to get bottlenecked by the CPU too. I just don't see the reason to spend a lot of money for a PCIe 3.0 card on a PCIe 2.0.

pci-e generation doesn't mean anything for performance. and he could always get an i5 7xx or i7 8xx, which won't bottleneck it.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

pci-e generation doesn't mean anything for performance. and he could always get an i5 7xx or i7 8xx, which won't bottleneck it.

If you say so ...

The mobo isn't that old. It has ddr3 and PCIe x16, but it still uses the Clarkdale infrastructure. Would a i3-6100 or a 7100 hold up?